My child is 28 months old. He throws sometimes just having fun, no big deal. My child throws sometimes when is protesting. For example, if he is taken away from activity he prefers leaving the playground he will throw his toys. I know it isn't always possible to have his toys out of his hands when he might throw. I'm not sure how to handle it. I like to allow him to express he is upset and recognize his frustration while correcting it at the same time.

julesmaria007

Asked by julesmaria007 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whenever he throws something he shouldn't, take the toy away and put him in time out for 2 mins. Do this EVERYTIME and he'll stop;)
    Or if you dont like timeouts, perhaps take the toy away for two mins....
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When he throws out of anger or frustration just say, "it is not okay to throw our toys" and pick up what he threw and don't give it back. Tell him it is okay to be angry, but he needs to use his words or take a cool down time out until he can use his words. Balls or soft stuffed animals in a mutual game of catch are the only things we allow thrown in our house. Any time something is thrown in anger we acknowledge it is okay to be angry/frustrated etc, but it is not okay to throw. Someone may get hurt or something may get broken. Help him to learn words that he can use to describe and express how he's feeling. Teach him, "I'm angry!" and give him a positive outlet. Let him play with playdough or someother hands on activity that he can vent his frustration. Keep old phone books and when he is angry/frustrated he can go to a designated place and tear the pages out until he feels calmer (then he cleans it up).
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son will throw things on a semi-regular basis, too. I think this is when he's frustrated, though he is rather verbal and usually communicates well. I'll have to keep checking back to see more suggestions.

I like the phone book idea! Now, I've got to get my hands on a city phone book, ours is barely bigger than a magazine:/
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011