Should I give my son SINGULAIR that his doctor prescribed?

My son (4 years old) has allergies(seasonal) and mild asthma. His doctor wrote him a prescription for SINGULAIR. I have heard lots of really bad things about this drug and want to hear what others have to say about it.

lilamyhart

Asked by lilamyhart at 12:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Health

• If the Dr. thinks this will help, I don't really see why not. I would have simply asked for a sterioidal inhalaer. This should be able to do the same thing as far as a good maintenance for his asthma. You might want to ask about that.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Well, my son's behavior was horrendous while he was on it. He was very angry and aggressive, and hyperactive. It took a while for his behavior to get better after I took him off. The doctor insisted that it couldn't be the Singulair, but he's SO much better since he's been off it. I've also heard of a connection between Singulair and suicide in older kids/teens.

SO, for mild asthma, I would exhaust other alternatives before turning to Singulair. But that's just me.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 8:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My son has been on it for almost 2 years now. He has not had any changes in behavior, and he hasn't been sick non-stop like he was before the Singulair. It has been a life saver for us because he was literally sick all the time before it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'm not sure about children's reactions but I've been on it for a couple years now and I haven't had any side effects. It works great for me to help prevent attatcks. If I miss 2 days of it I'm wheezing and grabbing for my inhaler.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My daughter has been taking this for a couple years now, and she has no side effects from it, it seems to really help her.
    jmz2005

Answer by jmz2005 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would say no.... but this is up to you. I am not a doctor, but I DID have my son, who is almost 4, put on Singulair for allergies/ asthma due to allergies. They put him on it strictly to stop his chronic cough... and it worked, and we were thrilled, untll about a week into it and he became a total monster. Did my research, found out it was a STEROID (3 year old on steriods.. great. thanx for telling me doc). ..and it has been known to cause depression in kids and adults. Took him right off of it, and within 3 days, he was back to my sweet boy. We took to to a 'natural/ holistic" doc, put him on an immune booster and a spring pollen allergy homeopath.. havent had a problem since.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• For those who it is working for, thats great, but you really should look into the long term side effects, and also into alternatives. Just because it is making the problem better, doesnt mean it is the right and best thing for your child. Western culture is too drug happy.... too trusting in doctors. I am not saying doctors are all wrong, but they are trained in one way, and not open to other possibilities of treatment. And, they all think that whatever one child has, they all have, without looking deeper, or thinking of any other possibilities. Ther might be a safer alternative to whatever your child problem is, somethign as easy as an allergy to a food.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• YES!!!!

My daughter has been on it for years. It is so much better than the asthma meds she used to need almost on a daily basis and her allergies are so much more controlled. She also uses a nasal spray. The best thing? ZERO side effects. If your kid has been on albuteral for asthma, you know how wired they get and no eating! If you give them otc allergy meds, you get a sleepy kid.

qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• cont:
    Also, controlling the allergies seriously reduces asthma attacks. I'm talking like a 98% decrease. I have 2 kids with asthma and allegies. Feel free to PM me to ask any questions. I also changed their diet and it was a big help. We've gone from ER trips and tons of nebulizer treatments to virtually nothing. Be glad you have a dr who actually is willing to treat the problems. We went through about 5 'old school' drs who always tried to tell me it was just a cold. (my dd had the constant cough so they wouldn't believe me it was asthma). My son was obvious as he presented the severe wheezing, there was no question.
    qtnik

• and to velvet cat, the allergy meds are SO much better than the asthma meds. there is nothing you can do to avoid treating asthma. allergies = more asthma attacks so they should be controlled as well.
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 10:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2008