Is this something I should bring up to the manager?/supervisor?

I work at a distribution center. Very big facility! Well last night I worked with someone who not only was unpleasant but he was chewing tobacco while working. He spit it in a sprite bottle he had hidden in his apron (we were aprons while on the clock). I am too nice and didnt want to appear to be a tattle tale, but should I bring it up next time I see him doing this? Maybe in a subtle way like "are we allowed to chew tobacco on the floor? Because I saw someone doing so last night and it really bothered me"....?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think you are just looking for trouble. Just ignore the gross habit.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• nah. i would leave it alone he will eventually get caught.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would mention it this time,don't wait till next time.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You work at a HD distribution center, right? It won't be long until someone sees him do it and he'll be disciplined for it.
    Anonymous

• I would but I wouldn't want them to know that I "tattled". It really is a yuck habit and may not be allowed in your work place. Check your employee handbook first.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• First I would let the man know that he is not allowed to be doing that in and around the work area. Management they always want you to try to handle something before you bring it to the office. If he says oh no I didnt know that then wait to see what he does the next day. So that when you do notify your manager you can let them know you let him know he was not allowed to do that. So now it does not seem like you are being a child telling on someone. Well thats what I would do.
    GiaVonnie25

Answer by GiaVonnie25 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• lol anon I must know you if you know where I work :)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• he most likely does know it isnt allowed. I see alot of rules broken at this place. I dont want to be the "ooooo you can't do thaaaaaaat" nazi LOL. But uuugh it was just so gross
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'd mention it to your supervisor. It's his job to correct the employee, not yours. If you speak up, and THEN the supervisor gets notified, then the employee -- whether you had anything to do with it or not -- could blame you.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would mention it to a supervisor. Do not mention it to your co-worker

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2011