Hire him or move on? (Kinda long, well, not kinda long - it is long)

This is in relationships because you have to have a good relationship with your doctor - right?

I moved to a new town 6 months ago.

First order of business, find a Gastro doctor cuz I've got serious stomach issues that cannot go unchecked..... CHECK

Get a referral for a family doctor to treat the other stuff (anxiety, weight, thyroid condition, etc) and help manage my care..... CHECK (got two referrals)

My criteria for my doctor is this: Thorough, Compassionate, be somewhat attentive and we gotta click -- let's face it, you won't follow a doctor's instruction if you feel like he only half listens and doesn't address the issue thoroughly.

So, I go to see the first MD that my gastro dr recommended. (In my hand I have a list of the issues I'd like to discuss (normal, right?). SOOO... he comes in, introduces himself and says "What are we needing to do?". I say, "Well, I've put together a list of my issues and concerns and I'd like to discuss the issues that rated high---" RIGHT THEN HE CUT ME OFF and said "We don't have a lot of time so we can't cover a *LIST* of things, so what's MOST important to you?"
STRIKE ONE! -- telling me I gotta rush on the first visit IS NOT being very thorough.

I looked him square in the face and said "To find out if you and I click or not".

He looked stunned, but he *did* decide that he'd be a little more thorough. So we discuss the two top issues on my 'list' (it was list of 5 things - just so you know). #1 is my hypothyroidism, #2 is some generalized anxiety I seem to be having.

So he asks me if I've EVER been diagnosed with depression ... and I told him that I had a bought of Post Partum Depression when my youngest was born (20 years ago). That I was treated and have not had any problems since, that I really feel like the anxiety is stress and/or hormonal related or induced.... that I'd like to get the thyroid in check (because from experience I know a bad thyroid can drive both saratonin and melatonin levels down... duh.

IMMEDIATELY he says that he wants to get me in to see a PSYCHIATRIST! AND he knows exactly which one is taking new patients that are " 41 years old with insurance" (his words exactly as he leaned over and looked at my new patient paperwork) - I told him that I don't believe there is any reason to see a psychiatrist, to which he looks up and says "UH, Shelby, ANYONE with a history of depression that has gone untreated for this long NEEDS to see a psychiatrist."
STRIKE TWO! --- REALLY?? He didn't even hear the part about getting treatment and being fine for TWENTY YEARS! So ALREADY he's deemed me a depressed housewife and we've not been in the room 5 minutes?

I discuss with him about the thyroid -- I had a VERY thorough dr before I moved. I KNOW that my thyroid is back out of control because I ran out of my medicine, changed insurance, was 7 hours from my doctor and needed an office visit and tests to confirm the change (up or down) the dosage or not to change it. I shared with him what my thyroid numbers were and where "Normal" is for me. He decided to draw some blood and get a look at the thyroid.

I'm thinking 2 things.... #1) he's drawn the blood, if he calls me and says "You're thyroid is fine" and then gives me a T # that is not in line with what my previous dr already established is MY RANGE ... then I'll KNOW FOR SURE this dr isn't going to be the dr for me. (I don't believe in blanket diagnosis') #2) Maybe I should just go ahead and make an appointment with the Second MD that was recommended to me. Why wait?

What do y'all think -- one the one hand, I feel like I may have stunned this guy by ACTUALLY taking control of MY HEALTHCARE (maybe he's a good doctor and just isn't used to acting like he's actually working for the patient). ON THE OTHER HAND -- that whole "Already KNOWS which psychiatrist is taking new patients WITH insurance" thing just felt like a quack scam to me. Having a good doctor is very important to me and I am really feeling conflicted about this guy.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• Just go to the second doctor you have lined up....see how he is, cause this one doesn't seem to be listening!
    Anonymous

• Go with your gut. He doesn't seem like a doctor who is willing to listen or be thorough. Move on.

And good luck!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Nah Id go see someone else. I am the same way you are. I always have my lists of things I need looked at when I go in. I also have an anxiety disorder, and many times they want to tell me I have depression, or whatever that is making me have it. I finally found a good doctor and she hit it on the head why I was having my issues. I have other medical issues that come just from getting older (I am almost 20) like arthritus etc.
    This guy sounds like an arrogant tool.

Answer by gemgem at 4:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'd try the other doctor. This one jumped straight to brushing you off and ignoring what you know about yourself. If it's a small city with few doctors available you might not want to burn the bridge quite yet (he could be the best available), but I really suspect the other doctor couldn't be worse. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011