Childhood Eczema

My step daughter is four years old and has severe eczema. Do you know of anything else we can try to help her. We have tried a lot of different things in the last two years. We are just trying to see if there is something that we may have missed. Thank you for any help I just want her to be comfortable and not so irritated all the time, I pray for her to find some relief.

Krista0723

Asked by Krista0723 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not to be nosy but is anyone in the house a smoker? Cig. smoke can irritate skin conditions so badly. Even just the residue on their clothing.
    Anonymous

• What type of products have you tried on her? Many store bought products contain harsh/harmful chemicals which may be causing the eczema. I now use al eco friendly products. Have you thought about using more naturally based products? My Niece used to suffer badly from eczema, but it has definitely improved since shopping for better products. Visit: www.CleanandGreenFamily.com for more information.

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• No we have no smokers in our family and none on her mothers side.
    Krista0723

Comment by Krista0723 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We have used all the corticosteriod creams her dermatologists recommended. Numerous antibiotics, aveeno oatmeal bath, aveeno eczema cream, kenalog cream, vaseline 3 times a day, hylatopic foam, apexicon cream, aquaphor, and others i cant remember.
    Krista0723

Comment by Krista0723 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have been in your shoes. We tried the following to prevent the eczema outbreaks: eliminate potential foods that may be a cause, especially dairy, to see if symptoms improve, use detergent with no dyes or perfumes and do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets, wear cotton as much as possible and no wool. It's usually caused by an allergic reaction to something so you have to try to find what that irritant is. To treat the outbreaks our main priority was to hydrate the skin. We did baths with oil in the water (try olive oil as it has no perfumes or dyes like baby oil does) and then we tried different lotions and had the best success with either Vaseline, Cetaphil, or Eucerin. Some people are better bathing less frequently, but we had some success bathing every day and applying cream or lotion immediately after the bath and also in the morning. And we used Benadryl to relieve some of the discomfort as well. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thank you Mary! We use all free and clear detergent and the free and clear dryer sheets, we tried zyrtec, cetaphil and vaseline. We haven't tried any of the others but I am willing to try them. Thank you very much.
    Krista0723

Comment by Krista0723 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Has her doctor tried Elidel yet? Double check the spelling but I believe it is a non-steroid cream for treatment of eczema.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Raw shea butter. Vaseline.

Those are off the top of my head. I know that all those Aveno products didn't do a thing, most make severe eczema worse, as they DO have some fragrence in them. Right now what is working best on DD's flares is Hydrocortisone Valerte .02% cream. But, what works varies, and changes often, as the skin gets used to one thing, you need to switch frequently.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011