Low Blood Pressure

I have low blood pressure. What are some things, short of medication, that I can do to help this?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• I've got low blood pressure too. I've talked to my doctor about meds, but he said he'd only put me on them if it got really bad...because ultimately, low blood pressure IS a good thing. What I've found really helps me is making sure I'm drinking lots of water and I'm never hungry - it always seems to be worse when I don't eat and I'm not drinking a lot. I also try to avoid getting too hot - I can't work out for too long and I have to take breaks when I do. Summer is a bitch of a time...I can't handle the heat or direct sunlight for long at all. And of course I avoid hot tubs and overly hot showers - the first time I ever had a problem with low blood pressure, I passed out right after a hot shower!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have "low Blood Pressure"... and this is not a health problem... actually a good thing!!! Funny thing is my body temp runs hotter than most other people, which frustrates hubby since I fog up the windows in the car.... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Is it really a problem? I have low blood pressure too and doctors always act like it's great. I've had some problems with blacking out when I stand up too fast and I can't ride rollercoasters because I'll pass out. I assume it's blood pressure related. But anyway, it didn't know that it was something that could or should be treated.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Unless your dr is concerned I would do nothing. My BP is 90/54. Very low but normal for me
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My doctor wasn't concern with my BP either, and my BP was 85/65 when I was in labor.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have passed out twice (once I fell head first onto concrete) and I can't regulate my body temperature, so I am constantly cold. I am just worried I will pass out again, possibly when home alone with my son, or when driving. I try to avoid getting too hungry or waiting too long between meals and I don't like spas so I am never in them. I don't feel like I need medication per se, but I was hoping that there were other things I could take/do that might just help it a little, so I am being proactive.
    TitusMom7

Comment by TitusMom7 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Short of drinking more and adding more salt not much. Except nicotine. For me the adding water and salt doesn't do anything except cause my feet to swell. 90/54 ? That's mine when I smoke. When I don't every other time I stand up someone is picking me off the floor. Yes I know smoking is very bad. Which is why I keep them to 5-8 cigs a day and only smoke pure tobacco. I've been thinking about going to the water vapor cigs. At this point I need to get caught up on bills first. BTW this isn't a go ahead for anyone to start don't. It's just what I have done and why I don't get the usual lecture on stopping smoking from my doctors. It also helps that other then my BP I'm as healthy as a horse.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• DH has low bp; he's on metoprolol right now but when he was younger his doctor told him : salt, caffeine, and a glass of wine a week. It did pretty good for him until he started having other problems not related to his bp. Also eating regularly and staying well hydrated should help.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2011