Joining the army?

My best friend wants to join the army. I dunno how long he's wanted that...just found out today. Honestly, the army terrifies me. I know a few army wives, and I just don't know if I could be them. My best friend is basically my world, aside from my son - I'm single and I don't really have other friends... he's there every day and it's just, I dunno, routine I guess. I don't like change.
So for those of you out there who are army wives, or who aren't, what do you think? What did you think when your SO joined the army? What would you think?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• i think you'll be pretty lonely without him BUT the upside is that you can add something to your relationship. sending him letter and gift boxes and stuff will mean the world to him. i think supporting him is the best way to dealw ith it and he'll be back before you know it. i always wanted to join the military and then i had kids... and while i'm happy with my life and wouldnt changce it for the world, it'll probably always be tugging at the back of my mind. good luck!
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I should add that we live in Canada - armed forces are definitely different here than they are in the states. He's the kind of guy who's always wanting to do something different. He's really ambitious... he could very well end up able to do tons of jobs by the time he retires. I admire that in him...but the army? Scary.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I knew what i was getting into before i married him & i accepted it but in no way was it easy. As an Army wife you go through allot of crap & you have to learn to suck it up & roll with the punches. And to be quite honest i think the Army does treat their soldiers like crap, well at least the ones my hubs has been stationed at. Expect him to be gone allot but i guess you already knew that.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 5:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I grew up in a Military town. With our older generations joining the armed serves. I think it is a very Noble choice. I had always wanted my husband to join, but he never did and now he is too old. (36). Be Proud and Supportive!!!.............. And to be totally honest, I LOVE MILITARY MEN!!!!! Fatigues make any man look HOT!! :o)
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 6:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• As a rn working with the VA treating the soilders comming home from war I would try to tell him not to go. So many guys are comming back with PTSD not rescieving what recruiter had promisefd them. They come back beaten and destoyed and the military will not help them. I would never allow any relative of mine to join our country is treating our military men horrible for what they have done. Working with the Veterns has really opend my eyes.
    Good luck with your friend
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Maybe your best friend wants to get your attention? Just a thought. Sounds like it worked....

Maybe he wants more than just best friend status? To move another step forward with you? Is it a wake up call perhaps? Just wondering.

Or maybe he really does want to serve. I would think if he really cares about you and child, he wouldn't want to go either. That is what makes sense to me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• no! tell him to join the navy...my husband was in the army he said army soldiers getting treated horrible. navy guys get treated wayy better!
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 5:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011