Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would like your opinion on this.

My son is almost five years old and his father has been more out of his life than in. He has been in and out of jail, has numerous convictions including drugs. It will be a year in dec since he has had any contact with him at all and he hasn't been in jail during any of this time so he could have made contact with him. recently i saw his pic in the paper where he has been picked up again and this time really could be sent off for a while. I have been married to my husband now for a little over a year but he has been in my son's life since he was two. my son calls him daddy and rarely says anything about his BF anymore. I would love for my husband to be able to adopt my son and take his name. i have been thinking about this for quite some time and now may be the chance to do something about it. i know that his father will not sign away his rights on his own. What is your opinion on this??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (7)
  • Do what's best for your son.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

  • What do you think is in your son's best interest? That's what really matters!

    Answer by LizClara at 1:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

  • If you think that your son would be better off having your husband as his legal guardian than his BF, then by all means, go for it. Considering his record it may not be that hard to get this done. Perhaps consult an attorney that specializes in child custody cases to get a better idea of what you may be presented with.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

  • I think you should do what is best for your son. I'm not sure how you go about that, but I would look into it some more if I were you.

    Answer by joy2bamom at 10:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

  • Follow your heart. Do what is best for your son! Protect him if you need to. If this man has been more of a daddy then the other man! They the other man should not be in the pic.
    " Any man can be a father, it takes a special one to be a daddy'

    Answer by whoops2 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

  • My sister, who is actually my half-sister, always said about her "father" and her "dad"(my dad) "Any dick can be a father, it takes a man to be a dad."

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • I think you should try for your husband to adopt him. If his BF will not sign off willingly then it will cost more money but would be worth it. I am going through a similar situation and we spoke to a lawyer and he said if the BF has not had contact in 6 months to a year that it is considered abandonment. I don't know if that is only in PA or everywhere but you should call a lawyer and check into it.


    Answer by DROCKSGIRL517 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.