Why not just own it? (kids weight)

Why is it so hard for parents to accept that their choices will influence their children? Why do some parents blame their child's obesity on someone or something? If you let your child eat cheesesteaks for dinner every night they will/can gain weight and be unhealthy. If you let your child eat McDonalds all the time they will/can gain weight and be unhealthy. If your child is drinking soda all day they will/can gain weight and be unhealthy. These are just a few examples. I keep hearing/seeing parents blame their child's weight/health issues on everyone/everthing but themselves. Are they just being stubborn/naive? Im not bashing junk food or fatty treats here and there. Moderation is the key. And those obese children on Maury are actual realities for some.
Is a McDonalds toy the reason your child is overweight?!! Should someone blame a diners milk shake for their child being overweight?? Um NOOO
What are your thoughts on this? Why is it so hard for some to own their mistakes/choices?

PS....THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CHILDREN THAT HAVE HEALTH ISSUES

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I feel like it's ignorance. Yes, WE get that it's our choices that effect our children, but I feel like some parents really just don't get it. It's not just one meal, or habit that effect a child's weight- it's a whole lifestyle.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The people who are suing these fast food chains have lost there minds. I mean just because you kids begs for a happy meal for the toy doesn't mean you have to say yes. McDonald's did not put a gun to your head and say 'YOU MUST BUY YOUR KID THIS MEAL' Parents are responsible for what and how much goes into their children's mouths. period.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Exactly skittles. Its the lifestyle. Thats exactly why I say that parents influence their child. They think its ok because theyre "young" but its the long term that matters
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't blame others but my youngest son and I are very overweight. The rest of the people in our family are a healthy weight. We ALL eat the same meals yet there is an obvious difference. And you can't say he eats more because I give him smaller portions with more veggies. The other kids are in school so they have PE. My son has recess at half day preschool and He rides his bike 4 miles 3x a week while I walk. And before anyone starts bashing I have never told him that he is on a diet, I just explain that he has smaller portions because he is younger and let him fill up with veggies and fruit.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I totally agree with you hotrod. My sister was overweight and did not eat a lot of junk. She just had a diff metabolism. And thats great that you dont push the diet thing!

Im really just talking about parents that give their children horrible food and then blame others for the outcome
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• And aside from health issues I know that some ppl are not going to be a size 2. You can be healthy no matter what your size. Its as I said.....those that encourage/allow an unhealthy lifestyle should not blame food chains and other ppl for what they have allowed to go on

Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Okay, so my child's love of french fries is why she only weighs 25 pounds at 27 months?

You are not understanding the point. sorry :(
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• And anon...My dd loves fries, cake, ice cream, chips, McDonalds.....Her weight is normal. BUT if she were to gain weight I wouldnt blame McDonalds, Burger King, Bryers, Lays..... Should I go on? Its all about accepting and owning
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You can't blame others for what you put in your mouth. You have to be careful because restraunts can turn "healthy" meals into nighmares. Dh and I ate at pick up stixs the other day and they had the calories listed next to each item. It was awesome. I wih more places would do that. Normally I research a returaunts calories on line before we go.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

Anonymous