Is this normal communication for a toddler?

My little one will be 3 years old in March and I am a little concerned about her not being able to communicate much verbally. She has a large vocabulary in words, but does not seem to put them together in 2 to 3 word phrases. She throws tantrums when she wants something or want her way. For example, If I say something like "Ava are you hungry? What do you want to eat?" or "What is this and What is that?" She doesn't respond. Is there anyone who is or has experienced this with their toddlers? Is it normal?

luvelymommy

Asked by luvelymommy at 5:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is this your first child? The only reason I ask is because my first daughter didn't communicate as well at age 3 as my second daughter did. ANd my third screams whenever she sees something she wants.

My second daughter is 3 and will be 4 in April. She communicates very well now. Maybe its just the age?

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 5:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• my mo said when i was little i would just make throat noises (dont know how to explain it)... not grunts but like making a noise without opening your mouth. i would make those noises and my older brother would figure out what i wanted lol. i had a very good vocabulary though. i dont think it's anything to worry about if she knows words but just chooses not to use them.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am leaning more towards it being a good idea to mention it next time you are at the ped. I wouldn't make a special trip or anything. Every child develops differently and some children need some help in certain areas. Your ped may or may not feel it is a good idea to have her speak evaluated by a professional. This will do one of two things. Give you peace of mind or get her into a speech therapy program that will give her vocabulary a jump start. Some kids just need a little bit of extra help to get those words flowing well. No big deal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I guess my best advice is to just encourage her to talk more. Do you read to her a lot? If you don't, start. She'll pick up on the words. And watch movies and TV too - obviously not too much, but I know watching TV helped my almost-three year old learn to talk. And remember, some kids just don't like to talk. I've heard a lot of my friends say that they know their kids know a lot of words, like yours, but they just don't want to use them. Some kids are chatterboxes, some aren't. She'll be talking your ear off at some point!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ok I appreciate that. @csmsand she is my 3rd child actually. My oldest daughter developed quite quickly but I assume it is because I was a stay home mom during her first year. My son is autistic. I currently am working so I am not home all the time and she does not go to day care.
    luvelymommy

Comment by luvelymommy (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• my daughter is the same shes 2 in 2 weeks but same thing she understands eerything we say but has a hard to communicating what she has to say.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If I had any concerns I would definitely get a developmental evaluation, especially already having a child with autism. Many families with autism find that when one child has autism, other members of the families may have some "signs" especially when young. I have a 13 yo with autism, my 11 year old was also diagnosed - I didn't even connect them as having the same thing because they were so totally different, and at two different ends of the spectrum, one moderate/low, the other high. My 11 yo has since "lost" his diagnosis (he no longer tests as being on the spectrum, he's actually in all AG classes), but he had a lot of therapy when he was very young.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My nephew was like that. He just wouldn't even try. The doctor put him in speech therapy. Now he's gonna be four and he can name dinosaurs perfectly! And I mean the scientific names like Triceratops and Mastodon. He loves talking now.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It seems by that age she should be able to communicate better. Have you asked her pediatrician about getting her evaluated? It doesn't hurt, if everything is ok you have a professional agreeing with you and if there is any problem, it can be addressed sooner rather than later.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011