My 19 month old has started saying "huh?"...

When I say something to my 19 month old she has been saying, "huh?" more frequently. I am paying attention to it, and will probably call her doctor about it. But i'm wondering if this is a phase like the whole "no" phase. I know she can hear me most of the time, but ive been noticing that she will say this instead of answering me right away. Then I ask again, and she will answer. idk.. prob stupid question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could just be her practicing the word.
    Anonymous

• It is possible she has taught you a new trick. If she says huh you say it all over again! It doesn't hurt to get her ears checked though. Some kids, like my son, would get fluid in their ears that isn't infected but it is interfering with hearing. He finally got tubes but he was older.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• OH MY GOD my son did the SAME thing. He's turning three in a month and he still does it. He's listening (most of the time), but he'll say it anyway... and again when I repeat myself. At first I thought it was hilarious, but now... not so much. I wouldn't call the doctor though. She's gonna get a whole new vocabulary real quick, and "huh" might just fall by the wayside before you know it.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My 17 month old says "What?" all the time. I know he can hear me. Just a fun new phase we're in.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My 2 yr old is doing the same thing it is do irritating. He understand what I am saying but he just like saying it(I am trying to teach him to say sir and mam instead of "huh". I think it is just a phase.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i would just ignore it and try to teach a new variety of words
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011