when in a relationship with a guy, do u expect him to play the role of "dad" to your kid/s from a previous relationship ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• noooo!
    Anonymous

• No. My son already has a father (my ex husband) so all my hubby needs to be is a good role model and influence on his life, which he is.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I except my sons FATHER TO be Dad.. I would expect my boyfriend to be a good role model and respectful and loving towards my child
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I expect my husband to care for my daughter in the role of dad and he does a great job of it. He agreed to coparent her when we chose to get married.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• NOOO!!! I want him to be someone my kid can look up to, a role model, but not to be a father to him.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• um no.,
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• imo if he's not willing to then he's not a keeper. my son knows that's not his dad and doesn't call him dad but that doesn't mean my dh doesn't treat him like a son
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• HELL NO. My son's got a perfectly good dad already. Honestly, it pisses me off when single mom friends of mine get a new man and they want them to fall right into the role of "dad" immediately. Maybe if I were to marry someone, I would want them to EVENTUALLY be considered a father figure to my son, but I certainly wouldn't expect it for a very long time. I HATED when my mom's second husband would try and be a father to my sisters and I - he would try and punish us and would yell at us and I hated him for it. It took a long time for me to be comfortable with my stepmom too. I consider myself lucky to have four parents now, but my stepmom's been around for almost 13 years, and my stepdad's been around for 5. Took a long time to get there.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes! I am single and my childrens' father has no contact with them for over 10 yrs now. He would have to be ready to share in the responsibility of everything having to do with them!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When I was done with DD's bio-father (a jerk with zero involvement) I couldn't really think about dating. I didn't care for it and was feeling a lot of hate towards men and had little faith left in fathers. But my current husband still came along and caught my heart. Honestly THE thing that made him acceptable to me was that he was such a good father to my baby. She loved him, he loved her, he had a brain for how to treat and interact with her, he respected and liked that I was dedicated to mothering, I respected and loved that he was father material. Since my kid is the most important thing in my life, it makes sense that I need everything to revolve around that. So yeah. A dad was exactly what I wanted/needed if I was going to get in a relationship. DH is the only daddy DD knows. He's been since she was a baby. This is very different from mom's boyfriends coming in and trying to take the power of fatherhood without the cont
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011