Croup?

I guess my almost-three year old son's had a cold for a few days now (I only see him once a week these days, so it was news to me when I saw him yesterday), and then last night it got BAD. He woke up screaming around 1 this morning, and was saying his cough hurt. It wasn't so bad at that point, so I tried to comfort him and get him back to sleep. But it got worse really quick. He started burning up really badly, the cough got worse and would get him panicking, and he started to get delirious. He ended up waking up my parents in the next room, and between the three of us, we tried to comfort him for hours. A tylenol brought down the fever and some juice and cold cloth got him relaxed enough to fall back asleep, but he was up again at 5. My dad came in and got me to sleep on the couch - I had to be up early this morning - and my parents comforted him after that.
They took him to the doctor this morning while I was away and it turns out he has croup. He had it at this time last year too, but they didn't diagnose it that way - they just gave him steroids and sent him home, same as today.
Has anyone else's kids had this? How did they cope? How did you? When did it go away?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• My daughter had croup so bad one time that we ended up in the emergency room. Some ways you can help it is to turn your shower on and steam your bathroom while sitting in there with your child or bundle him up and take him outside for a little bit. The cold helps the best. There is not a whole lot more you can do :(
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The steriods will really help. It will shrink the swelling and help breathe much easier.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• my daughter had croup from november to december. we used vapor rub on her chest and back plus we put some on her feet. we also had to do breathing treatments and a waterless vaporizer
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 5:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My 7 month old daughter had croup but they didn't give her anything for it. They did give her an antibiotic for her sinus infection though. I had just quit my job to stay home with the kids again so I just got sleep whenever I could. I was also pretty sick with bronchitis and the dr wanted to hospitalize me at the same time she was sick. I had to tell him no so i was sent home with a bunch of meds. My daughter got over the croup shortly after she finished the antibiotics for the infection so about 3 weeks later.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 5:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011