if you found out your s/o is actually your brother that was given up for adoption

and you already have kids together, would you get a divorce ? would u keep having sex ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Sadly this happens too often. There was a recent case in England where twins were married and then found out. And, it's not just adoptees that have to worry about this. Think of all the people conceived of sperm donors, egg donors, and embryo adoptions. The worst part is that even though this happens all too often, adoptees birth records and birth certificates are sealed permanently by our government and adoptees can't get their own birth records even if they are adults and the birth and adoptive parents are ok with it.

The first poster said it was a sick question. Imagine how you would feel. After finally finding the man you want to spend the rest of your life with, you couldn't. You wouldn't just stop loving him, you just couldn't be together. That's so friggin sad.

There's no way my husband and I are related but no, after 20 years I would not divorce him or stop sleeping with him.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• What a sick question! I sincerely hope this is not the case for you.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'd certainly get the kids genetically tested and have my tubes tied! Divorce,only if it its an illegal union

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• lol...well it would certainly explain why we are the same height
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I knew of a couple like this... They broke up. The child was fine.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 6:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My hubby is so amazing that if I found this out...I wouldn't tell a soul...and keep living the wonderful life we have. That would be horrible though.....yikes!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I tease my hubby about this, because I am very white and he is very black. He is from africa and his father had at least 15 children and he has over 50 aunts and uncles from his grandfather. We joke that he had to come to another country to find a wife tio be sure she wasn't related. On a serious note, it is scary how this could easily happen to a couple. It would just be devastating.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 6:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• therapy would be for sure and It would be hard to say
    If the kids already turned out healthy, what could it hurt? It is gross to have sex with your brother if you were raised as siblings. IMHO
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• With the current state of unregulated sperm banks in the U.S. it is very possible for half-siblings to marry each other and never even know it. With anonymous sperm donors and parents not telling their children their true origins, it is very possible for 2 people living in the same city to marry each other who had the same sperm donor father.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i wouldn't be surprise cause my husband and i look alike a lot people even commented on it, but i made sure he's not my bro before i married him.
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011