question about relationships being right with the lord.

this is sparked from a group, the question was did you live with your husband before getting married, a woman comments yes but i wouldnt do it all over again, when asked why she responded that she wanted to start her marriage out "right with the lord"
this has sparked my interest, because i am trying to figure it all out currently.

question........ what did they do before there was a government issued contract? they didnt have marriage licenses, they had ceremonies. We have ceremonies too, commitment ceremonies for those that dont agree or want a piece of paper proving their love/commitment/devotion... so can that still count? or is it really just right with the government? i dont see anywhere in the bible it stating that you have to contract your marriage with a legal document. i still cant find anything in the bible stating that you need a marriage license, and the only answers i have gotten are that it meant being married by current societies definition, either commonlaw (which for that to be the case they would have to LIVE together without being married for x amount of years) or marriage license. but thats not in the bible, so is it still "right with the lord"
thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I really don't know. I think that in order to be right with God, your union has to be blessed by him through a representative of his (pator, priest, whatever applies). Not necessarily a governmental ceremony but a religious one. That's kinda what I get from the bible but I may be wrong, I'm no expert :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 6:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm not really sure, but you make a valid point!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• im trying to find the light and when i see comments like this it really makes me want to run towards the non believers and say you were right guys! because the bible doesnt say you need a marriage license and the bible is g-ds word right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You're right that the Bible doesn't say anything about a license or the marriage being sanctioned by the government. I think it is about making a promise to each other before the Lord, and having every intention of keeping the promise to remain faithful to each other and stay together. I did live with my husband for 6 1/2 years before we were married, and we've been together 15 years since then. I can tell you that something did change when we made that public committment and the promise to each other and before God.

If you're living together and not married, you can always have it in the back of your mind how easy it would be to leave. It is not ideal for a marriage to start out with memories of having sex with someone other than your husband. If I had it to do over again, we would not have lived together before we got married. We would have just gotten married a whole lot sooner.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well I see your point however in the NT fornication is sin. We also need to follow the laws of the land even if we disagree with it.
    The reason sex before marriage with different partners is not encourage is that every time you have sex with someone you become one with them. Yes every one of them are one with you. So in a sense you are married to each one. It messes you up big time unless you know how to cut soul ties.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure how it was done in Biblical times. As for today, what comes to my mind is Romans 13:1 (Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. ) I also know that God is a God of covenants. You can have a ceremony and consider yourselves to be married, but that marriage won't be recognized by the state. I don't think it would be recognized by God either IMO. Good question! Good luck with it too. :)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Marriage is a covenant between three persons, God, the man and the wife. The couple not only makes promises to each other they also make the promises to God. When you start off the relationship outside of God then the chances of them keeping these promises to each other is less.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• One step further. Insemination artificially is against this, and it is playing God, just as is sex prior to marriage. Playing with the word of God and not taking it seriously is dangerous. I've encountered problems. My past is traumatic and my relationships have all been horrible. So.......if I were to go back anyplace in time, it would to have never met or be with anyone.

peace
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i agree that artificial insemination is wrong and against g-ds will. however, the whole "you must follow the laws of the land" you know what? JESUS DIDNT! jesus broke the laws of the romans! i do not believe with all my heart that g-d would approve of government control via marriage license.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011