questions about marriages/partnerships being right with the lord

this is sparked from a group, the question was did you live with your husband before getting married, a woman comments yes but i wouldnt do it all over again, when asked why she responded that she wanted to start her marriage out "right with the lord"
this has sparked my interest, because i am trying to figure it all out currently.

question........ what did they do before there was a government issued contract? they didnt have marriage licenses, they had ceremonies. We have ceremonies too, commitment ceremonies for those that dont agree or want a piece of paper proving their love/commitment/devotion... so can that still count? or is it really just right with the government? i dont see anywhere in the bible it stating that you have to contract your marriage with a legal document. i still cant find anything in the bible stating that you need a marriage license, and the only answers i have gotten are that it meant being married by current societies definition, either commonlaw (which for that to be the case they would have to LIVE together without being married for x amount of years) or marriage license. but thats not in the bible, so is it still "right with the lord"
thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Romans 13 says that we must obey the law of the land (the government). Therefore, we must submit to the authority placed above us. Unless the law is not Biblical, we must obey it.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• YOU SHOULD RE-POST THIS...THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION...
    Anonymous

• Marriage isn't just a contract, it's a covenant with God. Personally, I consider a couple who's made a covenant with the Lord to be married, but the government doesn't see it that way. You either have to have a marriage license (contract) or have a common law marriage in states that still have common law marriage.

I live in AL and common law marriage is still in the books. My DH and I are Christians and have a CLM...we have a covenant with God...what we believe the Lord intended marriage to be. In AL, there's no set time you have to live together to be considered married, you have to portray yourselves as married, consummate the marriage, etc...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 12:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• There are different schools of thought within Christianity- I believe you need to decide what God intends for you- or if you do not believe in God- you need to decide what your path in life tells you- I think the most important thing is to remain faithful to what you and your SO have decided your marriage will look like-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i just get discouraged from g-d when i hear people say things like not having a marriage license isnt right with the lord. im trying to find the light, but comments like that make me want to run because i know in my heart g-d never would have been so closed minded as to say something like that, as long as you obey his rules as man and wife why the government interference?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's just her opinion & IMO her opinion is dumb.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i think i agree samurai chick, i would hate to be that closed minded.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think it's got more to do with a paper trail, cutting down on the possibility of poligamy and several other things. For instance a man/ woman dies. Who does the estate go to if there's no clear cut way to tell who the proper person is? A Marriage license doesn't have anything to do with God or whether you're actually married.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:55 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The religious ceremony is what God cares about, not the paper. Yes we are to obey the we are to obey of the land unless it is against God but not having the marriage license isn't illegal. It just means that the state does not recognize your commitment. Where I live you can self solemnize. This means that I could go into the court office ask for a marriage license, borrow a pen, sign on 2 lines, and be legally married in less than 5 minutes. In my heart I feel that a religious ceremony with no license is better than a license with no ceremony. Though God knows what is in your heart and as long as your heart is in the right place He is pretty understanding.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The license is for legal issues the ceremony is for the couple involved. My husband and i didn't live together before we got married and I kind of wished we did because I would be able to see how he really is in his own home when he doesn't have to impress anymore! Think about it!!
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 5:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011