Building a house?

If u had your house built how much was it,how many sq ft do you have? How many bedroom and bathroom do you have? Who built your house for you? I want a 4 bedroom 3 bath home,for a $160,000 I want 1,500 sq ft. This will be for a family of 8,5 boys 1 girl.This will be my last house so i have to make sure I have enough space for teenagers so we want be all over each other. Lol

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 6:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have a 2000 sq ft home that houses 4 of us. And, there is NO way this house would hold 8. Much less a 1500 sq ft home. Especially when they get to be teens.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I did, it is 5,000 square feet, 4 bedrooms 4 baths, and a large office for hubby. We paid 200,000 for it 30 years ago, with the lot it was 240,000. It was built by a dear friend of ours.

Answer by older at 6:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thanks special wings I might have to add on some more frets.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I agree with specialwingz. I think you need more than 1,500sqft for 8 people. I believe my mom's house is around 1,500 and her bedrooms are pretty small. She has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I just built a house. 3100 sqft with finished basement and we only have one baby and I couldn't imagine us staying here for more than 10 years. We'll need much more room as he gets older and we plan on at least one more. I couldn't imagine having another child here... I guess maybe we just demand too much room.
    FutureWAHM

Answer by FutureWAHM at 9:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We built our own cabin this year. It's just the two of us so we settled on 499 sq ft. Our total cost (roofing, plumbing, wiring, hwh, and nails) came to a total of $862.57. We bought used tin for the roof. Our walls (interior and exterior) we made using a vertical board and batten construction using FREE lumber from the local sawmill. The first two cuts from each log are scrap to them, but they make nice looking, strong walls. We did spend about $100 extra on gas hauling them all to our property.

The little cabin appraised for 49,000 when it was finished. This may not help you except to show you that it doesn't have to cost 30 years of your life to build a home. Look into cob/strawbale construction ~ most of which you could do yourself. Both are low cost alternatives to stick frame construction. Both can be built without a lot of know how and there are books/videos available to teach you.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We built our home 8 years ago, from a well-established and reputable builder in our area (eastern PA). Our home is 5500 square feet on a 2 acre lot, with finished basement, year round sun room and 3 car garage. We have a total of 12 rooms--5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, for 4 of us and a large dog. We paid just under $300k for it. We bought just before the housing boom in our area hit. New homes next to our development are being build in the 500k - 700k range, so even in the current housing market, our home is still worth much more than we paid.

Of course, it ALL DEPENDS on your location, and if your home will have city utilities or well and septic. When we built our home, there were comparable sized homes on same or larger sized lots, being built in more rural areas about 10 miles away from us, that were selling in the low 200k range.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011