How long would you go past your due date before being induced?

My Dr usually lets patients go one week past their due date before talking about induction. This is my first and Im almost 39 Weeks. I really do not want to be induced and as long as the baby..and I are healthy I am willing to wait a bit. How long would you go and are their any risks with waiting and do they outweigh the risks of being induced?

jena2434

Asked by jena2434 at 1:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• With my son my doc said he wouldn't even consider it until I was at least 41 wks. Then again I had 4 diff due dates in april and he wanted to go past may 1 just to make sure the last one wasn't wrong too.
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 1:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• After about 40 weeks, your fluid levels decrease and at a certain point, it can become more hazardous to wait it out than to induce. I was told not more than a week past my furthest due date with my first. With my second I battled preterm labor throughout the entire pregnancy, so we never even considered needing to be induced.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Well... I went a week before being induced with my first, I would have went longer if the doctor would have let me... (he said I was looking at a big baby...) Yeah, too bad I ended up in a c-section and she was 7 lbs, 14 ounces...) My son I got to go in for a scheduled c-section a week early... and boy was I happy about that!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 1:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I was induced with my son, he was 11 days past due!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Your doc will monitor yoru pregnancy pretty closely when you get overdue, and SHOULD only induce you if there's truly a need. I was going to be induced, mostly for fear of the baby being too big, a week after my due date. He came on his own five days later, and we discovered that he actually weighed 9 pounds, 4 ounces instead of the 7 1/2 to 8 they were thinking!. However, during my labor they needed to add Pitocin to speed things along, so know that even if things start naturally, they may end up augmenting your labor anyway.

I wanted to avoid as many drugs as possible (really wanted to go natural, but ended up taking the epidural), so I never wanted to be induced. Now that we know I can handle a big one, I'm hoping there will be less thought of inducing the next time!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• With my son I felt like you do. I wanted to have a natural delivery-- I didn't want to induce. I was finally induced at 7days past my due date. I felt the baby growing every single day and I could tell he was getting really big. When I finally had him he was 9 lbs 12 oz. I am 5'1" tall and with a small frame. Wih my next one I didn't even want to get close to my due date, but I induced one week early and she weighed 7 lbs 5 oz. I guess if there aren't any problems with your pregnancy then you should be okay waiting. I think that you are strong to not give in and just induce. It is hard towards the end of a pregnancy. Good Luck!! I hope all goes well!
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It is not advised to go past 42 weeks. In other words you can hit 43 weeks on the nose but induction should be considered seriously then. there are many natural options you can try at 37-40 weeks to get your cervix prepared and kinda "introduce" labor. Evening Primrose Oil is one, castor oil is another. You can find info on this here...

http://www.lifepassages.net/NaturalInduction.html
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'm terrified that I'm going to go past my due date. I'm 35 weeks and I've only had BH like three times in two months. Blah. I'm scared to be induced as well. I think if I reached 41 weeks I'd be begging for them to get her out, though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I went 41 weeks before I was induced. If you are seeing some progression like softening and opening of the cervix then maybe your doctor would be willing to wait a little longer. But sometimes all you need is an extra boost to help you out. The doctor wont induce unless he feels its absolutely necessary for you and the baby.
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 10:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• now most drs do not want you to go past 7 days after the due date. as a pp said, your fluids decrease, the baby grows a lot in the end and you risk the chance of the baby having its first meconium in utero which can cause severe infections to the baby. my dr does not let anyone go 3 days past because of the risk of infection.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2008