Insurers may have to provide free birth control...thoughts?

They say that 50% of pregnancies are unintended & that free birth control may help lower costs to insurance companies as a preventative.
What do you think?

I think it would be cheaper for them to pay for birthcontrol in the long run. I understand some people are against it though.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/03/133475595/will-insurers-have-to-offer-free-birth-control?ft=1&f=1001

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 7:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree! I think it is absurd that Insurance will pay for Viagra and NOT Birth Control Pills!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Jesse123456 - this may come as a total shock to you, but there are married people too who get pregnant when they weren't intending to and may not be in the place to afford another baby.

While I'm not going to speak for Jesse, I'm sure it's a safe bet she was including married people in her answer. Just because you're married, do you suddenly forget how babies are made?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Depends on if their priorities are lower costs or higher profits. Pregnancies have a higher cost at the outset, but overall they allow them to account for more expenditures and raise the rates on ALL their customers, including those who will never in any way shape or form get pregnant (aka men). For that matter, if they did start providing "free" bc, they'd pad that cost to everyone's premiums (which is why it's not really free), but they're not going to drop what they're already charging to cover pregnancies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Jesse123456 - this may come as a total shock to you, but there are married people too who get pregnant when they weren't intending to and may not be in the place to afford another baby. Its not just filthy whores who get accidently pregnant. *eye roll*
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• free?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think we should provide free birth control (including long acting like Mirena, Paraguard, Implanon, and even steriliztion for those who are done growing their families) to EVERYONE. It would reduce abortion rates, medicaid costs, child neglect, and other everyday costs associated with unplanned pregnancy - like missed work, insurance payments, short term disablility payouts, etc.... And take it a step further, reduce hte burndon on foster care, social workers, food stamps, WIC, and other costs associated with unplanned pregnancies that are kept by parents that are not financially or emotionally ready to raise another child. No matter what cause you stand for - whether it be rising health care costs, child abuse, over use of social cervices or anti-abortion - paying for birth control for everyone makes sense.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• So NotPanicking.... So you think every married person who doesn't want more children and cannot afford birth control are simply going to abstain indefinitely?

No, I just think they're rather stupid if they're going to have sex and then pretend to be surprised later when eventually they get pregnant. It's not a watermelon seed, it got there via a very direct route. You don't need a pill to practice safe sex - women's clinics in every town on the map hand out free condoms by the bucket load. Not using protection is laziness, not an "accident", and the majority of "accidents" due to failed bc have far more to do with user error than someone at the Ortho plant sleeping on the job.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't have an issue with it, but I don't believe it will be 'free' at all. It will be paid for via insurance premiums. I don't know how many people don't use any form of BC because they don't want to pay for it. I don't know how many unintended pregnancies it will prevent, but if it means that people are more responsible for their sexual health, then I guess that's a plus.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• So NotPanicking.... So you think every married person who doesn't want more children and cannot afford birth control are simply going to abstain indefinitely? Of course they're not. They are going to try to P & P - which isn't very effective.

You can get a 36 count box of Trojans for $19 at the store. If that's going to break the bank then maybe abstinence is the best way to go. Or you can get free condoms at any of our planned parenthood or health clinics. I realize condoms are old school, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• ...oh and NOTHING is ever FREE...somebody somewhere pays for it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011