Can you train for a 5k in 6 weeks?

I have gotten up to a mile recently, if I push myself (not to hard) is it possible to do it. Running at all is new to me. I saw a registration form for the 5k relay for life and just thought nothing is stopping me I guess, I just don't want to hurt myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yep...you can do it. 3.1 miles is a snap. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon right now and my program is 12 weeks long...
    www.halhigdon.com is a fantastic site and has great training programs. He is a marathon runner and a writer for Runner's World magazine. I have done his 5K, 10K and now his 1/2 marathon training programs.
    I am on week 3 and this is what my week looks like :
    Monday: strength and stretch
    Tuesday: 3.5 mile run
    Wednesday: 2 mile or 30 minute cross train
    Thursday: 3.5 mile run ( didn"t get to do it so I'm doing it tomorrow instead)
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 40 minute cross
    Sunday: 5 mile run
    Every Sunday is the long run.
    I love his training programs.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• A 5K is only what, 3 miles?
    If you can run a mile now, you should have no problem getting to 3 in 6 weeks!
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Great job!! Getting to that 1st mile is huge! I think if you're in reasonable shape and follow a plan you could get there. 5k's are SO fun! Couch 2 5k is a 9 week program, but you could start on week 3. OR you could use the Galloway method which is a run/ walk (run 4 min, walk 1min) many people even run marathons using this and swear by it for reducing injuries. Just google Jeff Galloway. Also Runners World has free programs. Go to their website and look for the Smart Coach plan. Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I know I couldn't, but you sound like you are in much better shape than I am.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If only u didn't have a time limit but I do believe if you devote yourself to this you can do it. GL Have Fun!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Train not for speed be realistic train to complete the route without loosing your sense. Make a path eat well sleep well and take vitamines the day before the race eat pasta have your nikes ready and enjoy until the finish line. Talk to the running trainners around for more advises and what to drink to be hydrated
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think if you can run a mile, you can do it. Don't beat yourself up if you end up walking parts of it. I'm doing my first 5k this Sunday! I ran 2.2 miles today, and I did a 3.8 miler on Wednesday, bu I walked for about 1 minute every so often, or less, basically enough to take a sip of water and catch my breath. I'm not fast, but I'm getting faster. I started running in September with NO endurance, and now I'm doing great! I agree with mcginnisc aboutthat routine, that's about what I'm doing. 3 non-consecutive days a week of running, with one long run a week, 2 cross training days, including weights (I sometimes do weights after my shorter runs, or I do a Jillian Michaels video), and then 2 rest days. This will get you trained without hurting yourself. You can do it! There's also a great and active running group on here that would be good to join. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's amazing what the human body can endure. I think it's possible.
    whiskey80

Answer by whiskey80 at 6:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2011