If the profit was taken out of it- would the gangs go away?

I just watched a very disturbing show on how gangs rule the south side of Chicago. And how much they made selling drugs. I know this probably isnt the answer, but if it wasnt profitable to sell drugs, and job training & education were offered in its place, then would the gangs cease to exist? Or is this just naive thinking?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's necessarily the drugs but more the money and power. They come from a world where a legitimate success doesn't seem like much of an option. They'll never go away completely but with mentoring, education and opportunity it could change the lives for some.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• naive thinking. How would you take the profit out of it? If not drugs then something else. Guns prostitution etc.. they would still find a way to make money.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thugs will be Thugs and they will find a way to extort, kill, and sell to support their way.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Good Question...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There's always something else. Before they had drugs they had gambling and prostitution. Then there's racketeering, protection scams, theft and black market, political fixes, extortion. There's always a way to make money. If you took away the profit in drugs, they'd expand into something else - say the sex slave trade that's already a growing business.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If you've been told your entire life that there's no such thing as a legitimate future available to you, there's no reason to consider there is anything better. When it seems your only options are be a rich drug dealer or a poor non drug dealer dodging the same bullets as the drug dealers, who wouldn't choose the money?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• OH...street GANGS.....hell, I thought you were talking Chicago Politics!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No,they need the money but it's a power thing mostly. They would always find a way to get money
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• IDK, I guess I was so disturbed by what I saw, innocent kids caught in the crossfire, senseless killings, etc. I just want it all to stop. I would love to know how that kind of lifestyle, constantly being worried about being killed or arrested, is better than planning a legitimate future for yourself.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• NP: We hear succes stories of people who did resist, got their education, got a legit job & even went back to "give back" to the community where they grew up. So thankfully there are those out there who can see a way out & make it happen. I just wish that number was much higher. I will probably have nightmares from what I saw. (Esp. knowing it was/is real)
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2011