Long-time acrilic/gel nail wearers...

At some point do you soak them off and get them redone? Or do you just keep getting fills. I have had mine on for about 5 weeks and it looks like one might have a crack in it. Is this because I should get new ones?

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• if they start lifting on the sides or cracking i just take them all off.. kind hurts though. if u go to a salon theyll take them off for you too but they pop them off just like u would at home.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You should get a fill no longer than two weeks apart. The more they grow out, the easier it is for air and moisture to get trapped, growing mold. Properly maintained artificial nails rarely have problems like mold. If you remove them, do not try to "pop" them off or pry them..this will damage your nail bed and strip your nail layers, leaving your nails weak and thin. You will need to patiently soak the nails off in acetone, which is very cheap at the beauty supply store. You can warm the acetone by putting it in a glass/ceramic bowl, and placing it on a bowl of hot water (like you'd melt chocolate)..this makes the acetone feel better to the skin, as it is very cold.
    It usually takes me a good 30-45mins to sit and soak the nail tip/product off.
    Just be patient, and do not rip them off. SOAK!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I almost died when someone said you should just "pop" them off -- NO! That would HURT really really bad and would also damage the nail. If you had a new set put on 5 weeks ago, I would go to the salon and have them replace that one and fill the others. The longer you wait between fills, the weaker the acrylic nail becomes. I do not have mine filled evey 2 weeks (although some reccomend it) -- I get solar nails and have them filled once per month. Good advice from dullscissors though!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i won't go more than two weeks between a fill, or i'll get new ones at three weeks. otherwise they just start looking dingy.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I get them refilled every 2 or 3 weeks and I keep them on for about 4 months before taking them off and having a new set put on.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thank you loriann. I forgot to put that I DO get fills every two weeks. Its just that after getting my fills lat time, a few days later, it looked like some were cracking around the tip, not the base. I wasn't sure if this was because they were weak and should have been taken off and redone, or because of crappy work done by the person. (I was thinking crappy work...)
    hotmama404

Comment by hotmama404 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011