just found out i am prego. i am a little scared and nervous. i want to know what kind of test do they run throughout your pregnancy?

Nicole_Brown00

Asked by Nicole_Brown00 at 2:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can have a blood test to confirm your pregnancy, then HCG testing to check your 'levels.' This is done to rule out early m/c or other problems.

At your 12 week, you have blood work for genetic disorders, and further testing if a positive comes back. You will have several ultrasounds, the main one being at 18-20 weeks. You may be able to learn the gender at this point, but the point of the scan is to see the organs. At 28 weeks you have glucose testing, around 35 weeks you have a vaginal and anal swab to rule out infections, and then you delivery soon after!
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 2:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Other than these, there are many addiional tests you can have done, your doctor should discuss the options with you.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I don't remember any anal swab but the rest are right. None of it is any big deal.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• also if your a young mom like i am and are scared cause dr's will be looking at your hidden essentials then dont worry, you'll forget all about them doing the tests on you after you put ur clothes back on. its kinda like being nervouse for a test and then after your wondering what to get for lunch.. lol but trust me everything will be okay and remember tests mean healthy baby and healthy momies too.
    missmom1421

Answer by missmom1421 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• One thing that was forgotten in the above answers was your Prenatal Blood work, which (in my lab) includes:

Antibody Screen (They find out your blood type and if you are Rh positive or Negative)

Complete Blood Count (making sure all of your white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, electolytes, etc. are at the levels they should be)

RPR (Syphilis Testing)

Hepatitis B Surface Antigens

and HIV.

Some doctors will order a Hepatitis C to go along with that (but it is all done in one little poke, so no worries about the number of tests!)

If it is your first baby (at least at in my area) the doctor will order a Cystic Fibrosis Screen. (Generally nothing to worry about if there is no history in your family).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Ah, and as far as the above poster who does not remember an anal swab, its because they do it all in one fell swoop. It is not like a deep probe, just a swipe across the top while he is already down there.

And the test is called GBS (Group B Strep)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Be prepared for a freaking papsmear, they did that shit to me when I was 4 months preggo! also when they stuff that little tube in your vaginal to check your urine because they want it fresh, they did that crap to me 4 times! and it hurt especially when the mean nurse was super rough, also they poked me so many times with needles to check me for gestational diabetis over and over again throughout my pregnancy, they also injected me 20 iron shots because my platelets were to high and I had to much white blood cells, so don't forget your vitamins...I suffered so much:( I got more tests than that but I don't remember them all, it was 3 yrs ago. I never want to go threw all that pain again.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 3:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Previous poster: I don't think that was the scary ass answer she was looking for. To answer the g question... Everyone has mentioned most everything. Pap and first bloodwork, then the glucose test (you drink this gross drink and wait an hour to see if you have gestational diabetes). The rest has been mentioned. Don't worry too much, I know it seems scary but the end result will make it all worth it!!!
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Oh, and something I thought I would mention...Urine does not come from your vagina.

AND most doctors do not catheterize you to get a urine specimen. If you are able to provide one yourself that is generally good enough. Unnecessary catheterizeation can lead to unnecessary infections.

They will ask your for a "Mid-Stream Clean Catch" in which case you will clean yourself from front to back with the provided towelette, urinate a little into the toilet bowl, catch the mid part of your urination into the cup provided, and go the rest into the toilet.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• well i guess i was not as lucky as u two last women that answered because i did get the catheral 4 times because thats how they are here they do it to every women thats pregnant and is going to have there kid in that specific hospital there strict and they want the urine fresh, i told the damn nurse "why dont u just get it from the cup and she said "no we want it fresh" i thought it was stupid but oh well i couldnt really do anything about it, i had risky pregnancy and had my son 2 weeks early emergency c-section. and "mikemamjavi21 or whatever your name is don't try to be rude because everybody has the freedom to write down there opinion and it doesnt have to satisfy others, so if u dont like what i wrote keep your comments to yourself, not everybody is going to go threw the same pregnancy with the gyno! so if u had your pregnancy a different way from me well then good for u!
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 5:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008