Please be totally honest... are they asking a bit much? Am I horrible?

BE HONEST. I don't care if it's unflattering or makes you look like a bitch, I want the truth.

Do you like to watch other people's kids?

I babysit (in their home) 2 kids. I get up at 5:30 in the morning to get there by 7. With my 2 it makes 4 kids under 4. These are good kids, but it's a LOT of work. No breaks for me, I am always changing a diaper, cleaning up messes, serving food, wiping a butt, etc, etc. At home I don't schedule stuff, we have a lot of free play time and there are opportunities for me to sit and play with the baby or spend 20 minutes on here, etc. On top of just the work of caring for 4 kids (3 1/2, 2 1/2, 1 1/2 and 6 months), this family is anal retentive. They want me to keep a log of everything the kids eat and when they poop. I have to dunk and scrub their cloth diapers until there's no poop left in them, and they didn't provide me with gloves, so I did that barehanded until I could get some gloves to bring with me. I have to be SO careful about what the kids eat because they jump all over me if crackers or granola bars or raisins go faster than they expect. They want their kids' diets to be perfect, which makes their poop totally disgusting, by the way lol.

The 3 year old is a good kid, basically, but he's 3... and annoying. He asks the same questions over and over and over and if my daughter asks a question, I have to answer the same question for him 30 seconds later. The 1 year old is also a good kid, but they let her feed herself oatmeal and yogurt and other messy foods in the morning and want me to get her dressed after that. Which means I get covered in it too. Seriously? And she's clumsy and has NO words.

AND they've been asking me to do laundry, start dinner, pick up after their kid (who tears EVERYTHING apart), even when we haven't been there to play, and they phrase it like it's my fault that the room is a terrible mess, and vacuum. They told me how to punish my daughter for doing something they didn't want her to do.

For $6 an hour.

I find myself snapping at them, all 4 of them (except the baby, he doesn't do anything lol).

Even if the parents weren't anal retentive and even if the kids were perfect angels, I would still dislike babysitting. I just don't like looking after other people's kids. But with all this extra crap, I really hate it. But I need the money and I'm not gonna make as much as I do at this job doing anything else after childcare expenses.

What I'm getting at is... am I a horrible bitch for not liking to look after kids who aren't my family? Is it terrible of me that by the end of the day, I'm snapping at my daughter at home and just want to put all the kids in time out and leave them there? lol. I seriously don't like it!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• $6 a hour? You're getting screwed! You could make more at BK!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• make more at BK AND get away from kids for a bit!!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• no lol I couldn't do your job... they would have to suck it ...
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I absolutely wouldn't do what you're doing. Watching my kid, or my niece and nephew, OK; anyone else, I'd need to be paid way more than I could make when I go back to work in order to do it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't think it is a job that is for everyone... personally I think with any job, ask yourself if it is something that if you didn't need the money would you do it for free?

I love kids, and seeing the various kinds of personalities... and as long as I'm not around a kid who acts rotten or snotty... I LOVE WATCHING them, and even kids that are not mine, I make sure they are up accademically too ... just as I would with mine!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i'm with everyone you else. you are not just babysitting you are a nanny. you are making shit money and being taken advantage of
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 9:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• are you a doula?
    Anonymous

• No.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• wiping a butt, *** LOL :)
    Anonymous

• Wait your the one with the daughter rhapsody ?
    Anonymous