How do I get him to stop biting?!

He's bitten me and his father on several occasions, breaking the skin every time. We always put him directly in time out after he bites but it doesn't seem to be getting through. How do I teach him that it's not nice and it hurts?! He's 18 months old and can't talk very well yet.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 8:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one thing you can try is gettin him a teether that i find is brilliant, my daughter was biting the first year of her life also and broke skin but she laughed after it ... that or hand him and teddy or amuse him with something really colourful...
    sha20

Answer by sha20 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• With biting and pinching we bit and pinched back while saying "we don't do ....because it hurts". My SO and I both had to use this technique and it worked. We have never had another incident and it has been almost 2 years for both items. If you show him that it hurts then he may be less likely to follow through with it again. Btw it took two times for me to bite hard enough to get my point across and I had to pinch her 3 times to gt my point across. You have to do it hard enough t not enough to break the skin. I know some people think that this may be wrong but I think that teaching that there are consequences for what you do from an early age.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• honestly.. they only thing that worked for me with my boys is biting them back.. not hard enough to really hurt them.. but enough to hurt a little and make them realize its not okay and that it hurts othwer people just like it hurts them.. had to do it maybe twice with each of them and they never did it again
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 9:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I got my 22 month old to quit biting by biting her back. I wouldn't bite her hard but I would bite her hard enough to let her know that it isn't something she should do to other people.
    jessiluvsandy

Answer by jessiluvsandy at 9:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• well with my oldest i bit him back not to where it left a mark or to where it really hurt him but to show him that biting hurts and is not nice...he hasnt bitten since. my youngest though i tapped my hand on his mouth and told him sternly 'no bite' i had to use that method as my oldest would have seen me bite and thought it ok but the latter method is better
    darthvaderzmom

Answer by darthvaderzmom at 12:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2011