i have court tomorrow...

I have some statements from people that I want the judge to read.. it's for Domestic violence, I don't have an attorney.... who do I give it to? Does anyone know? I'm not familiar with court procedures..

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• you probably will not be allowed to have them presented. You should have the people there in person.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• hmmm... they can't because they have work...
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Usually, if the person can't be there for some reason to testify, you have to have a sworn affidavit from them, or at the least, something notarized.

A friend of mine was in a custody issue with her ex. I was able to send a statement to her lawyer this way in regards to what I had witnessed, since there wasn't any reasonable way I could be there (the case was in Kentucky, and we now live in Japan, so...).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Must be done as an affadavit, and than legally served to the other party, and proof of such, than submitted to courts BEFORE court, so the judge can look over your case... this is with all court things you face, whether domestic violence, restraining order, divorce, custody, whatever...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You could try asking the judge though, they might accept it, or see if at least one of them would be able or willing to take time off work for it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• That is why they have subpeonas. They require people to come to court to present evidence.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It would be better if the people were there as the other side can't ask questions or cross examine your documents. So a person is much better. Were the documents notarized? That is important as well as they are sworn to.

You should have time to tell the judge that you have notarized statements from people who have seen whatever and present them, if the judge will allow them. you can, of course, testify yourself and you can ask questions of your husband if he is there (or boyfriend or whatever).

If even a few of those people could go, it is better than written documents. Never know what a judge will allow.

Good luck. If you have photos of bruises and if you have police reports, those are good to present.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Have them notarized and present them at the hearing.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Hand them to the bailif?
    Anonymous

• good luck
    Sammy4411

Answer by Sammy4411 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011