Is this true?

I was told by someone in the student support services department at my college that after obtaining a bachelor's degree, you no longer qualify for any kind of financial aid.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in

• I haven't found any that I qualify for because I have a bachelors but I am going for a second bachelors not a masters. I know they do have financial aid for masters and phd students. Not saying it isn't out there, just that I haven't found any.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I do think if you are going for a masters you can get financial aid, I think you just need to look around and I would ask at the colleges.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't think so. I didn't qualify at graduate school but I got loans. I know there were scholarships and believe there was some money available if the income was low enough. I went to law school so you could call a graduate school and ask. Or call financial aid and ask about a master's program. Good luck.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• That might depend on the college rather then as a whole.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think a big issue would be your income.... when I got my AAS I was approved for less then when I was getting my bachelors, that was because it was a higher degree and the credits cost more, I was never told that when trying to get the masters you wouldn't be approved. Financial aid however is for low income people if you make to much you don't qualify, and you would only be allowed to get loans, and scholarships, and grants.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• So that only applies if you're going for a second bachelors degree, and not a masters? The lady I talked to made it sound like once you get a bachelors, if you want to go further, you'll have to pay out of pocket or with loans, etc. which really freaked me out since I'm going for my MSN to be a midwife.

Good luck finding some!
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thanks :) I doubt that our income will change much between now and the time I'm done with school, so I'll probably still qualify.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2011