If I am ovulating and husband's sperm is relatively normal, now what?

We would really like to get pg on our own. Any advice on any supplements or anythng else? We have been trying for 4 years!

Annie0422

Asked by Annie0422 at 2:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Are you taking prenatal vitamins? I heard taking those help, along with both of you keeping a healthy diet, both of you keeping your alcohol intake to a minimum.....basically act like both of you (yes him too!) are pregnant....take really good care of your bodies. Are you a really tiny girl? You may have to put on an extra 10 lbs to help tell your body you are ready to conceive.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Four years is an awful long time, I'm sorry. I would get help at this point, there's no shame in it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my stepmom has been trying for 17 years! shes gone to get help tons of times and its just tons of money already that she pays to the hospital all down to a drain because they were never able to help her get pregnant. all I can say is find another sperm donor to see if youre husbands sperm is not the bad one now if that doesnt work then that means youre the bad one so I would recommend for you to put your eggs and his sperm in another ladies so she can have the kid for you all, now if u dont want that then just adopt a kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Wow, I am so sorry about the negative responses you're getting!

While I applaud you for wanting to go about things naturally, you may not be able to do this without help! Either way, don't give up yet, you're a long way from being hopeless!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• wow, ignore anon 3:16......You need to see a fertility specialist. I'm pretty sure that you're not going to try "another sperm donor" to see if you get pregnant or not. Just b/c you're ovulating does not mean that your eggs are healthy, have you ever had them tested? What do you mean your husband's sperm are "relatively normal?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yeah rude anonymous 12:16 pst... you're a douche. Would you rather have some perv guy on here posing as a mom asking questions about sex? Cuz it has happened! Or would you rather have someone honest who is trying to get pregnant and only asking for advice? Geez. Whatever happened to not saying anything if you can't help? Anyway, OP... seek the advice of a fertility specialist if you have not already.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 3:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Are you charting your cycles to be sure of ovulation date?

It may be that your "chemistry" so to speak won't work. My parents found that. Individually they were fine, but my mother's reproductive tract was "hostile" to my dad's sperm. So they ended up adopting.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Prenatal vitamins and get a second opinion to make sure everything is as it should be with the both of you. And go from there. maybe you just need to take a step back and not stress about getting pregnant, easier said then done, believe me I know. We've been having problems getting there ourselves. i don't know if this matters or not, but I can always tell when my man has been "taking care" of himself, if you know what I mean ;) there is always, a considerable drop in the amount of cum when he's with me. so just simple logic tells me that the more sperm, the better the chances. not saying this is happening in your situation. but i would ask him if he was just so there could be more for the baby making. and if not, there is no shame in going to get help. because with help or not, the end result is the same, a beautiful baby.
    Anonymous

• Thank you everyone for your thoughts (except for 1st Anon person) and advice. I have been putting off the specialist thing for some time due to not wanting to create stress, since we have really enjoyed the trying and last last few years together. But, I suppose it's that time, huh? Husbands sperm count was slightly low, but his doctor didn't seem too concerned. And I did chart for awhile, took ovulation tests and had my blood work done, all things normal there. The "hosilty" thing might be the next step too. Anyway, thank you again for the thoughts!
    Annie0422

Answer by Annie0422 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008