Need help with bedtime.

My son has always been on a bedtime routine, bath, books, snuggles, then bed. And has always slept well. My husband left a week in a half ago for the army and now my son refuses to go to sleep. I have tried everything. He is two, and even if I dont go up there at all he will lay awake talking until past eleven. Any advice on how to get him back to bed early.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 9:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you can change the bedtime routine a little. Bath, books, draw a picture for daddy, snuggle then bed. Talk to him about daddy being gone and listen to him. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Things have changed so like parajumper states, you may need to change bedtime. Did daddy do things with him before bed? It could be that he is missing those things and laying there hoping that daddy will come.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Any slight change in routine can upset them. I know all we did one night was move the crib and he screamed for three hours. Is he in boot camp or on active duty? See if he can video chat with your son before bed at night. Maybe if he can see his Daddy or even just get a call and hear his voice before bed he'll feel more secure. Have your husband write to him and instead of a story, read him the letter before bed time. It seems like he needs the security of knowing Daddy's still there and he still loves him even though he can't be with him right now.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You could always try to add extra activity in the afternoon so he gets wore out more than normal. That might help get him back on track since the huge change.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Thank you for all of the advice. My dh is in basic training so no phone calls or video chatting for us. He does watch a video of his daddy reading him books every night. But his daddy almost always helped tuck him in before bed. I know he misses him.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2011