Toddler formula?

My son is 2 years old and a few months and has been on cows milk for a little over a year. I have seen the enfamil and similac toddler formula that you can give until age 3 or so. Does anyone use it or do you just give cows milk? I feel it would have more nutrients and would be probably good to give 1-2 times a day. what do you think?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I think if there was any real benefit to then they would be recommended by doctors to use after a year. I think its a way for the formula companies to try to make more money.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• once my son turned one i gave him cows milk. its cheaper and IMO tastes better than formula does.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my son turned 1, I gave him regular milk but he wouldn't drink it. So I bought toddler formula for a few weeks. He liked it. I then put half formula half milk and he liked that too. Now he drinks milk.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• In some ways, I think it's a way for formula companies to make more money. We switched our son to whole milk just after age one, and switched to 1% or 2% milk around age 2. That said, if your child is low on certain nutrients, it could help, but so could a vitamin supplement if your pediatrician recommends it. We use Enfamil Poly Vi Sol w/ iron (along with trying to get DS to eat more meat, spinach, etc.) because he was slightly anemic. He's been testing normal ever since we started the vitamin. Before we switched to lowfat milk, I did find keeping a can of the toddler formula on hand was convenient for travel because very few restaurants carry whole milk anymore. Once he switched to lowfat milk, that wasn't an issue. We just order the plain 2%. It's up to you if you want to use it, but it's pretty expensive to use it a lot if they don't need it. It wouldn't hurt to use it occasionally for travel convenience, of course.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I, myself, have never used the 3 year old formula. I've always given my son whole milk and he stomached it just fine. Though, we've recently changed it to a type of soy milk because we believe he was having an allergic reaction which made his scin dry in places. Since we changed it has gotten alot better.
    Aces_Mommy1215

Answer by Aces_Mommy1215 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• for our 1yr old we do pediasure on the days she doesnt want to eat much, i have looked at the toddler formula because she is so picky, but figured it would go bad before we could use it all, plus the pediasure is already mixed and in bottles so i just throw one in the diaper bag and can go so that way if she refuses to eat while out i know she is still getting something.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah I am just not sure about it yet. My son is small for his age but so is his dad and my family.People look at me and my sister and see bigger type girls and then look at my son and think he is underweight according to the charts. He is 2 years 5 months and 25lbs. His height is normal to tall. I mean he eats so there is no problem there, he loves any fruit of course but loves spinach, peas, doesnt really do meat but loves hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and loves any kind of smoke or spiced meat like pepperoni, pastrami, stuff like that. We try and get him to eat meat but having a hard time.He does love fish sticks(the real ones not the minced) lol and that is good because that has a lot of nutrients and he loves salmon. Wic has been wanting me to make him gain weight but he gains weight at his own pace. I dont want him to become obese or anything like that either. Yeah he is 2 years old and fits in 12-18 mos pants, but is fine.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2011