First time Mom & Single Mom- have a question bout my son's penis. adult content

My boy is 19 months old now, and lately every time his cute little peepee gets "hard" he's patting the front of his pamper and telling me that it's a booboo. Not really sure how to handle this- i know its normal for their little peepees to get stiff but when he is telling me every time it is, I don't know how to react. Obviously he feels something when it becomes erect, how should I handle it, what should I do? Haha... thanks =)

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 10:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't need to do anything. It is natural and if you draw attention to it, it will encourage him. No boy ever needs encouragement when it comes to their favorite toy.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would basically ignore it. You could say thats your peepee yes, only to get him out of the habit of say booboo I am assuming thats your hurt word and I wouldn't want him to get in the habit of using that word for it, Bacause you would want him to be able to tell you if it actually hurts.

If he is doing it in public you can tell him he doesn't touch there in public.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my son messes with his, I just quickly tell him it's not polite and leave it at that. He still does it but will usually stop for awhile. He's in underwear now so it makes it a lot harder to regulate.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well my son gets an erection when his "pee pee" is full of "pee pee". Your little one may be telling you he's ready for potty training. Could " boo boo" really mean "pee pee"?
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Respond "Ok, Honey." And drop it. If its no big deal to you, before you know it, it'll be no big deal to him. Try not to laugh or giggle, and don't talk about it in front of him. Good Luck!!!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 10:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My 19mth old does the samething and so did my 3yr when he was that age theres nothing you can do other then tell him thats not nice but it still probably wont work lol. he will grow out of it
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my son would draw attention to his penis, I would just nod and say, "Yup" and not react other than as if what he just told me was perfectly normal. Usually I followed it up with, "Just so you know, its called "privates" for a reason, they are for you and you only. So you shouldn't tell other people when you have a "boo boo" and you shouldn't talk about your privates outside of the house." My kids were prone to repeating the strangest things in public, and I finally figured out that if there was something I'd be horrified he or she went around saying, I would tell them it is usually just conversation for inside our home only! LOL
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 11:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• no one thinks maybe he's using the word "boo boo" because he knows thats the word for hurt - and maybe it "hurts" him when its get erect???? take him to the doctor. gosh - he could be in pain - at least have the dr look and talk about it .... maybe the dr knows something you don't...??????
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah... I was kind of wondering the same thing as Tiffany (pp). Does he know what "boo boo" means? Why is he using this word? It's totally normal to be curious about his penis, but maybe it does actually hurt. You should probably have the doctor check it out. It could be as simple as diaper rash (maybe when he's erect it rubs against the diaper and hurts a little), or it could be a UTI or something else. Does his pee smell any different? I don't know... But it's best to at least rule out any actual problem. If there is no medical reason... well, it's a very sensitive part of his body - maybe when he's erect, it just rubs against the diaper weird and catches his attention. Or maybe he is just telling you that he pee'd (as another post suggested). Good luck to the little guy!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You guys are awesome- helpful, supportive, encouraging and funny *wink. Thanks for all your answers!!
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011