Do you ban your kids from certain TV shows or music?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• all those tween shows on nickelodiem or whatever is called the ones about girls on their tweens
    Disney channel the same all the shows that have 12+ girls playing singers magicians or the ones that live alone or with a brother .

Why because they are just plain weird and aren't teaching my 7 year old anything good.

I much rather her watching cartoons. She has all her life to find out about boys and stuff like that .
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 10:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes My Boys are 3 and almost 20 months and I will not let them watch sponge bob or other shows like that.. and we dont really listen to anything with cussing in it.. sometimes sounds come on the radio that do it but they dont hear it or repeat it
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• my son is only just turning two this month, so right now he really isnt interested in tv, but i do monitor and will continue to monitor. I know a woman who lets her child watch everything from dora the explorer to adult swim/family guy/robot chicken. Some of the things that come out of her mouth are appalling and she is only 5. Its not "cute" or 'sweet" and i dont want my kid picking up on any of that, kids grow up way to fast as it is, us parents dont need to push it.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 10:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes my kids are only 3&5 and there are some kid shows i wont let them watch. and for music we only listin to kids music jazz n classical
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Not really. The TV they watch the most has a list set up of all the kids channels but that's just to make it easier for y 4yo to find her shows (so she doesn't have to go through 200+ channels to find Disney). They are free to watch other channels, though, but they mostly stick to those.
    They're mad we don't get G4 anymore because they miss watching Ninja Warriors, lol. My 9yo son likes sci-fi so he watches Stargate and Star Trek with me all the time. My 8yo loves Buffy and begs me to put the DVDs on (since she was 4).
    As for music....they listen to whatever me and my husband listen to. If it's on Rock Band then they probably know the words to it (my 4yo was singing Katy Perry's Firework in the car the other day, and Joan Jett: I Love Rock & Roll).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• No real restrictions here. I don't let them watch 'blood bath' movies though just for the fact that I don't want them to have nightmares. Music, anything. Cartoons, anything.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• DS listens to whatever I listen to, mostly country. He loves "Cowboy" songs. For the most part I don't restrict what he watches, but we don't have cable so he can only watch the movies we have in the house. He doesn't like "my movies" as he calls anything that isn't a cartoon. The only ones he really watches besides his cartoons are the Transformers movies.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• No. My girls watch just about everything and listen to just about everything. My 6yos fav song is "Stripper Friends" and my 7yos fav show is Bones. We of course watch and listen with them and talk about things that may be inappropriate but I don't see the big deal. The 6yo has no idea what a stripper is...she just likes the song.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011