army, navy, marine wifes plz help.

my husband wants to join one of the above. so we can have something good and stable n not worry bout money. but my ex has custody of my son and i have custody of my daughter, we switch every other wkend. My husband says if he joins the army n is where every he is stationed that i will get a lawyer from the army or which every he choses and they will make sure i get my son bak. so is this tru? also i dnt kno wat i will do while he is in traing we both lost our jobs,and are stayin with a friend. Or how long he will be in training or how long it will be before we can actually get a place or something. I jus want sum info on this cuz im worried, i mean i dnt want him goin in to war but we lost everything. plz lots of info plz.

Mrs.Ferri

Asked by Mrs.Ferri at 10:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Im not an Army wife but Ive been in the Army for 6 years... I am a single parent... but I hate to say it but JAG will not fight for you for custody but they well tell you where to go... for training he will go to Basic then AIT which is a school for his MOS (a specific job) then after AIT he will get stationed where ever.. when he is in training it would be better for you to stay at home so that his money can bank up so you can save... when he gets stationed it will get a lot easier... believe me I know how hard it is to lose everything... but I can answer any questions if you wanna talk one on one...
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• OK about your son, thats not true at all. Can you get a lawyer YES, but its up to the judge to decide if you get your child or not. As far as Basic, (ARMY) is 9 weeks plus reception which is anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks. Then he will go to AIT which is anywhere between 5 weeks and over a year depending on the job he picks. You get paid the first time 30 days after he is in either on the 1st or the 15th. You will get paid BAH and his pay if you're married. You and your family are covered by insurance as soon as he leaves for BCT. Best of luck.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• we r married
    Mrs.Ferri

Comment by Mrs.Ferri (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Bumping for you..I am a former - but an always - Army Wife, but durno about all that. Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• They will not help you fight for custody. They would help your husband adopt but that only if your ex wanted to give up rights and that does not sound like the case.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The Army and Marines are cutting way back right now, in numbers of troops. He needs to look into getting in, in the first place:( It sucks. Big time.
    JAG can't help, they can offer advice, they can point you guys in the right direction, but they can't help with court. For me, in the past they have been helpful. But that was with landlords, making phone calls. But that is way different then your situation.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yea
    Mrs.Ferri

Comment by Mrs.Ferri (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't know about the custody thing either...
    But if I may stray off of your question for a minute.. I think it would be unwise for him to join the military just because you're in dire circumstances. If he joins out of desperation and not commitment to fighting for our country, he will get used. They will put him on the crappiest jobs and duty stations. I know because my mom joined the Army out of desperation when I was 4 years old...she was divorcing my dad and had nothing to her name.
    Is there any other option for your DH?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011