Is this normal? ok? how can I fix it?

My girls like violent and scary movies. We could be flipping the channels and if they see kill bill or king kong or movies like that they run straight to the t.v. They get really mad when we change the channel and ask for us to turn it back. I odn't knwo what it is but they like it. We are not violent and we do not allow any violence near or around our children. I can't seem to understand what draws them to it but I'm scared that there gonna learn something from it. My oldest daughter has had surgeries since she was 13 months old but thats the only thing out of place for her and then my youngest likes to follow he r oldest sister how do I fix this problem?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• They want to watch it b/c you won't allow them to. Just b/c they watch violent movies does not mean they are going to become violent. it depends on how you raise them.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Put a block on any channels that show violence, etc. And only access them yourself when the kids are in the bed. Your kids won't know to like those things if they aren't exposed to them
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• The first poster must not have kids of age to really get into TV yet, because I know if my boys watch anything violent (like Power Rangers even) they are SO MUCH MORE active throughout the day and constantly fighting with each other. I didn't raise them to be like that.

It's probably the curiousity...they know they aren't allowed to and that makes them WANT to. My boys love horror movies for some reason (my husband watches them) and I have to constantly tell them no. I'll be the one getting up at night when they have nightmares.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I just wouldn't let them watch. I let my oldest son watch horror when he was young and it did have an effect on him. He even took a knive and cut up my sectional sofa for fun after watching a horror movie. I was sooo alarmed. That was the end of the horror movies. Since then I have always monitored what my kids watch. When they get a little older it's not so bad, but when they're young I think it just isn't good for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I personally wouldn't let my child watch scary movies but that is just me. There is all kinds of infomation out there about what it does to developing brains. I usually get professional medical journals but abreviated versions are always showing up in parent magazines. I'm sure there is information on-line about studies and findings of developing minds and violence on television. Let's just say the news is not good. But you have the right to parent your children how you see fit. If you posted this as a question then you obviously have some concerns. Doing a little research may help make up your mind in either direction. I know a very good mom who thinks all the studies are bunk and lets her two girls watch scary movies with blood and gore. And they are great girls. So do some searching and decide for yourself.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Actually, I have a 7 year old. I don't let him watch certain shows but if he wants to watch Power Rangers or Transformers, I could care less. Kids are curious, if you keep telling them, you can't watch that....naturally they're going to want to see why they can't. It's out of curiousity. My 7 year old is not violent at all....he is one of the most sensitive boys I met.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My husband has always loved scary, gory type movies(and video games) his whole life & you can barely get him to step on a bug! You cant really blame a movie, show, game, book if someone goes off and does something violent. If its not already part of them, its not going to make some violent to watch violent things..that being said, if you dont want them to watch things like that, just dont let them. But really kids who grow up to be murders & the like already have some sort of issue and its wasnt because mom let them watch Friday the 13th as a kid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2008