Dry Skin on Toddlers

My son will be 1 year old on the 20th. Lately he has developed what I think is dry skin on his back. Normally this would be of no concern, but nothing I have done helps it. He is not in pain nor do I think he even notices it. I have put lotion on it (hypoallergenic, so he is not allergic to it) and it hasn't gone away. Yes I have been doing it regularly. The rash is only a light pinkish color and slightly splotchy, but it has been spreading. It just started out in a small area now it is on most of his back. Just wondering- could this be the start of psoriasis or something? Thanks for the help.

Oh and just to let you ladies know; no I have not taken him to the doctor yet because I am not sure is it is serious enough to.

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It could very well be eczema. My DD gets that on her lower back every once in a while. I have a prescription cortisone cream and Burts bees skin cream that clears it up in a few days time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Oh I forgot to add that he also has an extremely dry scalp and has had it for about a month and a half.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• aquaphor
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• But_Mommie: That makes sense actually. I know I had eczema when I was little. Is it contagious? And what about his scalp? I can't exactly put lotion in his hair. Would baby/mineral oil work?
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think it might be ezcema but not too sure u might want to take him to the doctors to see if it is.
    emmasmommy442

Answer by emmasmommy442 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011