How can you tell if a baby is having an asthma attack?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 3:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Breathing is such a big deal - I would work with your doctor on tihs one. My son had a bad "cough" turns out he actually coughed a hole in his lung which resulted in having the air escape his lungs and fill his chest and facial cavity. We were rushed into the Er and into surgery. He ended up intebated and in PICU for 10 days. In the end he was diagnosed with influenza and pneumonia. But looking back the coughing wasnt normal. When I called the advice line they said to get a humidifier ( which I think is mixed advice for asthmatic kids). I am now super aware of labored breathing. The posts above had good advice. One of the big ones I also noticed was that my son would be sitting on the couch and slightly PANTING. He just wasnt getting enough air. I hope your pediatrician has some good suggestions. Good luck.
    cafebetty

Answer by cafebetty at 11:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Nail beds are a bluish color, lips are bluish in color, wheezing. When they're breathing the chest with look like it's being sucked inwards (not normal in appearance). Very shallow breathing or rapid breathing even when not active.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• For my son it wasn't quite like that. He wold have severe attacks that required going to the ER and he never was blue or had the obvious wheezing. For him it was he was congested, coughing a lot and hard, and slightly labored breathing that sounded a lot like congestion. Bottom line - if you know your child is not acting normal and you are concerned then take them in. Children do die from asthma attacks and it is preventable. My child had a severe asthma attack while at daycare and they didn't call me because they thought he just had a cold. By the time I came to pick him up I had to rush him to the ER. So I had to do some training with the staff. Oh, and I also pulled him out of that center the next day. Any child with labored breathing the parent or caregiver should be concerned.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2008