Infant Fused Labia - need your opinion

The pediatrician prescribed cortison and instructed me to use it on my 9 month old for 2 weeks. It's been over 1 week, I don't see any improvement. I am worried about the topical cortison going thru her system, as well as the fused labia. I quickly googled this, and most articles seem to suggest girls outgrow this on their own. For those of you have had experience with it with your infant girl, I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I absolutely freaked when that happened to DD. I took her to the doc and wasn't happy with the diagnosis, so took her to a specialist, a pediatric urologist (sp?) he prescribed some cream that took care of it very quickly.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I've had 2 friends who's baby girls had this. 1 of them, outgrew it on their own, the other had to do the cream for a very long time and it just wasn't really solving the problem, it would get better, then close up some more, then one day her daughter had some type of rash or something, and she put her in the tub with some baking soda for the itch, and she said it was like a miracle, that actually fixed her labial adhesion painlessly. I have no advice, just sharing what little experience I have with that particular issue.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my oldest had it mildly and her doctor suggested at every diaper changing to pull it apart slightly, not where it would hurt her. I don't know if they would suggest this now,as this was 24 years ago, but it worked,
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• parajumper: thanks. I think it may be the same cream? A stronger dose of cortison, right? when you said "took care of it very quickly", do you recall how many days?
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2011