As a good faith token, do you think it would be all right to allow him to play xbox on the weekends for a limited amount of time?

I took my 13 year old son's Xbox away because his grades were suffering. He wasn't doing his homework or not doing it completely or sometimes doing it but not turning it in. He was only focused on playing xbox. He would come home after school - do his homework - or not - and play xbox until either my husband or myself got home 3 hrs after he got homke from school and asked him the status of his homework. Long story short - we put him in an after school program with a dedicated homework hour and other activities. His grades have improved somewhat - I told him that when his grades improved we woudl consider whether he still had to continue on in the program or if he could be responsible to come home and do his homework on his own.

pocmom

Asked by pocmom at 11:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would 100% keep him in the after school program, especially since he is making improvements. The reward for those improvements could be some time on the xbox on the weekends, or even a school night provided he is keeping up on his studies and homework. But don't just give it to him and let him go crazy, I think you need a time limit like 30 mintues on a week night and an hour or two on weekend days. I don't think you can expect a 13 year old to be disciplined enough to have 3 hours to themselves and to use that time to be productive and responsible- by nature it just isn't in their skill set yet, so the after school program sounds like a solution to that problem. Remind him that he gets this privilege because of the changes he is making and that if he reverts to old behaviors the privilege of the xob will be gone again.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would give it to him as a reward maybe for one day on the weekend.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have the same problem with DD, I told her until I SEE an improvement in her grades, she can´t go to her friends houses, nor can they come here... she says she´s improving, I don´t really know, I haven´t seen any papers yet. If you have seen an improvement, I´d give it to him 1 day in the weekend. Either Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Just a comment on the homework...............My son wasn't doing his so we told each teacher that he would wrote down the homework assignment in his notebook or the words "no homework" and they would sign it. So at the end of class he would go by the teacher's desk and  have them initial near the assignment.  Then I could monitor what was going on.  All problems went away and he actually ended up loving a couple of those classes and the interaction with the teachers. GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Instead of taking him out of the afterschool programming that is working, give him time on the xBox instead. Weekend time only, supervising the play, as he is only 13 yrs old.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yes let him play he is doing his part during the week.

but as soon as he acts up take it away even ON the weekends until he learns. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The kid needs supervision and structure. Keep him in the program. Let him play after dinner for a set amount of time only.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Keep him in the afterschool program and let him have the XBox on the weekends. I would never expect a child to come home after school and do his homework, especially unsupervised.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies but I would not allow weekend time for the Xbox until he showed me that he could be consistent in improving in his school work. Yes, he has improved and yes, you are proud of his progress he still has a few more steps to go to earn it back. JMO
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yes so long as his grades continue to improve
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2011