Re: daycare or preschool -- is what your child gets out of it THAT much better than all the viruses they catch?

I'm just debating on the socialization aspect vs. getting sick all the time. My son has asthma that is only symptomatic when he gets a respiratory virus. We do go to story time(1x week), MOPS(2x month) and some play dates, but that just doesn't seem like much time with other kids.

What has been your experience?

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 11:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• kids at preschool are just has sick has daycare, if they dont get it there they get it in kindergarden there is really no way of stopping it. and i think all people should put thier kids in somekind of preschool even if its 2 or 3 times a week, it gets tehmuse to school , socailizing rules problem sloving ect. The best thing to do is teach them how to cover thier coughs wash their hands keepin fingers out of nose mouth and eyes, give them vitamins , other than tht not much u can do, But yes its worth them catching a bug here n there
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• We did preschool at age 3 for one kid and 4 for another kid. It was daily 9-12pm. But we caught all the bugs, including lice. Oh joy...
    Anonymous

• Are you planning on homeschooling? If you aren't then you might as well put them in preschool because if they don't get it in preschool they will get it in Kindergarten. My son actually hasn't been sick that much since he started school. I recommend at least doing Pre-K, more for the getting ready for Kindergarten factor than for socialization. It sounds like your son gets socialization without daycare.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• my child does not have asthma but does have autism
    so social part has way more benefits than negatives
    plus IEP from public schol system, she gets therapies, OT, Speech and special ed for autism issues
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am lucky to say that our school system has UPK (universal preschool) for all the kids once they are 4. I would home school if my son required it, but I'd give the public school here a try first. The elementary and junior high schools seem to be pretty good. Things get dicey once we start talking high school ...
    JZ10FPM

Comment by JZ10FPM (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think that exposure to common cold and flu is actually good for my son since his body is learning to fight it off and build up his immune system. I know that the first year is going to be really rough, but over time, he'll become more resistent and be able to fight off more of these conditons. I took him with me when I interviewed preschools and daycares, and he loved it. He enjoyed meeting the other kids, and had a great time during the hour long interview. I think the socialization, the structure, and learning atmosphere outweighs the downside.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't know if every state has it, but in MI I can enroll my daughter into headstart when she turns 3, shes 2 now. They go for about 2 hrs a day, give or take. My mom put me into headstart and she said it is a good idea cause it also introduces
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with kmath. If youre going to put your kid in school then you should send him to preschool, if youre planning on homeschooling, then dont. And you cant protect him from getting sick forever, his body needs to learn how to fight off a virus and the only way is for the body to practice.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My son is on his second year of pre-school and my DD went for 2 years. They maybe had one cold each every winter... which is pretty good for kids in general. Yes the socialization and learning they experienced was VERY worth it!! My son is SO social, he'd have been climbing the walls if he didn't go!! And my DD was very shy... it really helped her blossom once she got used to it!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My 3 girls did preschool but it was just 2 days a week for 2 hours each day. They didn't get sick from it but my kids are never sick. Shrug. My oldest went because that year her 2 friends started kindergarten and she demanded to go to school, too. My middle daughter went because she was very clingy and would freak out if I left the house without her. She was starting kindergarten the next fall (full day) so I put her in preschool for half a year when she was already 5. She freaked the first day but was fine after that. My youngest dd went at 3 1/2 because she wanted to. She begged to go to school and really excelled. She left the year just after turning 4 and could almost read. She knew all her letters and numbers, could write, etc. The teachers were surprised to find out she wasn't one of their kids graduating to kindy. She's not in school this year (she's almost 5) and my son never went and is doing fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011