anyone afraid of going to the dentist? I have 3 molars that have lost a filling since Christmas and one crown that fell out a few weeks back. These fillings are big that came out, so I know this will be big $$ I am also afraid that the dentist will think I don't take care of my teeth, which isn't the case. Anybody have any suggestions to help me feel calm enough to actually call and make the appt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• Who cares what the dentist thinks, really. If they make a comment, tell them you are just now finding the time and money to get in. Make the appointment though because you don't want anything to get worse. No biggie.
    Anonymous

• I hate going! Hate it! I am needing oral surgery soon! My advice...DO NOT wait. It only gets worse. Take it from one who knows!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You could have someone call for you if you can't call.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Just call and set up an appt. It is not their place to judge you, your paying them for a service..of course you might get the typical dental lecture...but thats just part of it. If you don't go now your teeth will only get worse ~ Best of Luck
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• im in the same exact boat as you!!! I have never had a cavity before but i know i have one now and have known this for almost a year. I still havent called!! When i finally got enough guts to call DH said not to cause we didnt have the money at the moment.
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am in the same boat as you. I need to go to the dentist for a chipped tooth, a ca on three teeth, it's a mess. But i am sooo afraid. The drilling,the grinding, the filing down terrifies me. I have the insurance to go, my mile would be so much better, I'm just terrified. I tried to go lat month, the dentist x-rayed my teeth and said i need to redo a root canal, this and that and alot of work, I told her okay, I'll be back, I never came back, he wasn't very compassionate, so now I don't know which dentist to go to.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Ok, first of all, relax and breathe. Secondly, any doctor or dentist that makes you feel like that is NOT the doctor for you. You should feel comfortable and of course you are going to be a little nervous, but bottom line you should be comfortable. More than likely they will ask you what happened and such but this is their job. I'm sure they've had worse cases and they still performed their job. Things happen, especially over time and we can't always control every little situation. I studied to become a dental assistant and turns out the main reason people are afraid of the dentist is because they automatically associated it with pain. There are so many nerves in your teeth that right away any cavity or sensitivity is felt and it hurts, so when the dentist actually checks for these things, they have to test it by using the pick to do it. But they aren't any scarier than say an regular doctor. Just breathe and relax.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 11:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There is a # 1-800-DENTIST and they can hook u up with a good dentist, especially if u tell them any fears or u don't like pain ect..Dentists now days are all about pain free experiences. If u wait to long, the tooth and surrounding gums might become infected, develope an abscess then u will have to take antibiotics, then u will have to have a root canal. I had that happen to me about 3 months or so ago. I have no med coverage at all, and I was hoping it wouldn't progress. Wasn't happening. A abscess tooth really sucks and hurts like a bitch. I rather have a migraine!! Not to mention, if an abscess isn't taken care of, u can get a blood infection, then u are in a whole lot of trouble and pain!!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Not going to the dentist is "not taking good care of your teeth". I hate going to the gynocologist, but I still have to go if something is wrong. If something is wrong call the doc and go! you will feel better afterwards
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I just went on Monday. I too "take good care of my teeth" and have 11 cavities!! You would never know it. People compliment me on my teeth all the time (it's weird, I know). I had four fillings done. I'm getting the rest here soon. I gotta make the appointment. I had a small anxiety attack while they were in my mouth. I felt like I couldn't breathe and started to panic. I asked the dentist to stop and she waited and talked to me while I calmed down. You'll feel so much better after you do it. I do and I'm only half done. Good luck momma. Your smile is important!
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011