IUD Questions......Help!

I am thinking about getting an IUD. I've heard a few horror stories about getting them removed. Also, do you tend to gain a lot of weight when you get one? Are your periods almost non-existent? Are they regular? I would actually want to have some type of period because if not, I'd be taking a pregnancy test every week! Hormones make me a little crazy, so I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about or has had a copper IUD. Any feedback would be great! I'm very nervous!

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Health

• The copper IUD is Paragard..I have it, switched to it after having the EVIL Mirena for 3 years. Nasty side effects with that one, but Paragard is hormone-free so there are minimal to no side effects. Anything else you'd like to know, just PM..my "Mirena rant" is much too long for the Answers section, lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I've a copper multi load inside me.I haven't gained any weight,I really love mine-no worries,no mood swings nothing.Initially i had very very heavy periods but after a month or so they became regular.I had it for 9 months & I think its the best contraceptive-oh but yes sometimes the thread coils inside & hurts my hubby but it is mild & tolerable for both of us
    A11

Answer by A11 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I had Mirena for a couple years, and I bled a lot when it first got put in, but after that, my periods were really light only lasted a couple days, I never gained weight, in fact I think it helped with acne a little bit too! But it does have those hormones and that is why I got it removed. Im weird about hormones and really birth control in general. But my sister has the copper wire, and she had really long heavy periods and had really really bad cramps she says. Her periods got horrible after getting her iud. (copper wire) It really doesnt hurt that bad to get it removed. What hurts is getting it put in, but its like really fast and not too bad. It hurts for sure, but its like a piercing, just really quick and its over. :) Getting it out is a lot less painful.
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 12:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I actually like my Mirena, but my period is nearly non-existent, which sounds like a deal-breaker for you. My good friend had a copper IUD, got pregnant with it and then lost the baby:( I know anything can fail, but it was very hard for her.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I just had my Copper IUD taken out today! I had it for about a year but my husband just got a vasectomy so I know longer need it.

For the most part it was great. I had 5 days of REALLY heavy bleeding every month. Really heavy, but liveable. Then, some spotting...but for like a week! So my periods ended up being about 12 days long. That was the downside. However, the spotting didn't bother me, it was just something I got used to. I kept telling myself it was better than hormones any day!

I've had 2 kids. It was a tiny pinch getting it in. When I had it taken out today, it was a little more of a pinch, but it just lasted a second! So insertion and removal was no big deal.

Also, I had no cramps at ALL with my period. None. I'm not sure if this was because of the IUD or because I've had 2 kids, but that was great.

Since there are no hormones, I had no weight gain or any other emotional things.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 7:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Bump! I go to the doc on the 28th. I'm about to give in and take the pill again. I'm pretty freaked out hearing about IUDs. Any other comments?
    flowrchild77

Comment by flowrchild77 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2011