What effect will Egypt chaos have on global economy?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 11:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They need to all go home and make sure they have a proper election.
    ______________________________
    You are missing the main point here...there IS no proper election, and hasn't been, unless they revolt. As far as turning the streets into rubble, better check with Mubarack on that one.

Wow, I don't understand this line of thought.
    _____________________________
    What so hard to understand? You believe the Egyptians do not want to be a part of the world economy? You believe they will control things out of spite? You don't believe they want what's best for Egypt? I guess I don't understand your reasoning.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's going to have a HUGE impact - especially since Egypt controls the Suez Canal. Whoever / whatever party ends up in control of Egypt is going to control the Canal, which is going to have an impact on all the shipping and etc that goes through there - and that's a LOT of shipping, and something like that is going to have a domino affect in all sorts of areas...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with ONE thing stacy said. They probably won't shut down the canal to US shipments. But depending on who ends up in control there will depend on if the money earned from it funds terrorism or not.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My comment wasn't meant as a bash on Egypt. It is their canal, to control as they choose. And I think, from what I've seen at least (and, admittedly, not being Egyptian), that the people have very legitimate complaints.

However, there have been many times in history - throughout all of the world, not just the Middle East - where the people had a good point, and the government (or at least the leadership in the government positions) were tossed out, and, at least for the short term, people who were as bad or worse were put into place. (For example, look at Noriega - he was supposedly part of the coup that ousted the former leader of Panama, before he became Dictator there, and they, too, have a canal - that he misused before he was removed from power.)

Upheaval can have repercussions before it all settles down. I hope, for Egypt's sake, that it settles down - to the people's will - soon.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It will end up raising the cost of most goods, and by default, services. Whether that is a direct or indirect result won't really matter to the end consumer.

Carpy brought up an excellent point as well. There will be profit (as always) for Egypt from the Suez, but it will depend on who is in power as far as where that profit goes.

My question is whether the US would cave and send that profit to terrorists if the costs of shipping around Africa can't be justified to their end consumers? It is their canal, but each country should be paying fairly close attention to how it is utilized ~ and act accordingly. The US already funds quite a bit given our oil bill ... I'd hate to fund more, particularly to terrorists.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• higher gas prices.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• You know, as many of you know, my husband is Egyptian. I have discussed thing with him that have come up on this site, that seem to be a real worry for people. Here was his take: Lets not ignore that the Suez canal IS in Egypt. It contributes to their economy and place in the world. The Egyptian people will not do anything to harm their economy just to spite people, nor will they cause problems that would affect other countries just because they can. They want to improve their country and grow their economy, just like anyone else. They are not childish enough to believe that letting some evil entity control the canal would benefit them in any way. They have a very young, educated population that wants their country to contribute and take part in the world economy.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The Egyptian people will not do anything to harm their economy just to spite people, nor will they cause problems that would affect other countries just because they can. They want to improve their country and grow their economy, just like anyone else. They are not childish enough to believe that letting some evil entity control the canal would benefit them in any way.

Wow, I don't understand this line of thought. It all looks pretty childish to me. How is turning the city into rubble a good thing to do when trying to make a point? Exactly what do these people expect to accomplish with this? If they are successful in chasing Mubarak out what do they think they will have? Egypt could easily become another Iran. They will pine for what they once had if that happens. Things are going from bad to worse. They need to all go home and make sure they have a proper election.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Imagine what it will mean for the Arab World. Can you imagine a united Arab World?! Just think about it. BTW for those of you who do not know, Iran is not an Arab Country....they hate Arabs. Even though some of you like to believe they are "helping" Palestine.

Patient.Mama

Answer by Patient.Mama at 6:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011