Sweet after dinner?

Why do so many people crave sweets at the end of a meal, or soon thereafter as in dessert items? Is it a learned cultural thing? Do all cultures around the world do the same--China, Brazil, France, Egypt, Nigeria, Japan, Norway, Indonesia, e. g.?

How about you?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 12:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Could be a learned behavior from what we've grown to see on t.v. and other things during our lifetime or it could just be the sweet and salty thing. I have read that whenever we consume something salty we begin to crave the something sweet right after. The same thing would go if you had a sweet snack and wanted something salty afterwards. I personally, don't have the dessert craving after dinner, I'm usually too full and I don't want anything but water in my system. But there have been other times where I snack on a piece of cake and i want something salty after it to kill the sweetness.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 12:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• hmmm...never thought about it before. I think it is learned. Growing up we usually had a homemade dessert after our supper.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't eat sweets much at any time. I am much more into salty foods. My son is a lot like me in that respect though he will ask for a piece of candy occasionally. Not sure why others seem to.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm ALWAYS craving sweets! I wasn't like this until about 2 yrs ago when I started menopause. I'm 52. Chocolates seem to be my #1 craving! No wonder little old ladies have a round belly, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2011