Ways to get more sleep at night?

My baby is still a night owl.. and frequent eater. I don't get sleep at night, and because everyone is home and i have things to do I don't sleep during the day either. I'm taking care of the baby 24-7. I have tried holding while I sleep, that ended up making my tail bone start hurting again. I have tried putting her in the swing, I have to sleep on the couch for that because the bedroom is to small for the swing... and it's much colder in the living room, I have to put a jacket on her and pants... She is 3 weeks and 2 days old. I haven't gotten ANY sleep since she was born...

tlcpetsitter360

Asked by tlcpetsitter360 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried going for drives in the car? or wrap her up real tight in her blankee and just rock her to sleep? Babies so young miss being in your tummy, so the warmer she is and the more she feels like she is in your tummy she will feel like she is comfortable. that is why babies like being rocked! :) My daughter is almost 3 and its been soo long sinse I had to deal with all the newborn issues, but I do know that it is definately frustrating! No sleep makes for a cranky Momma! Hang in there!
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 12:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• warm milk wash her with babies bedtime bath wash the rub her down with the babies bedtime lotion. its in a purple thing and its johnsons and johnsons. that may help oh and get a waddle me blanket
    goodluck!
    noelliekodasmum

Answer by noelliekodasmum at 12:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• have someone help you out for a couple of days.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Stop doing housework. Seriously. Dad can do laundry and cook or at least make a sandwich and cut up some veggies and dip. Right now just focus on the baby and when she sleeps during the day, take a nap. If someone comes to visit (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) make them do a chore in exchange for holding the baby. While they hold the baby, you take a shower and then come back out in your pajamas and robe. No need for them to linger for hours unless they are truly helping with housework.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You might also want to try a white noise machine (or whatever they are called). Something preferably with a heartbeat, babies spend the whole time in the womb listening your heartbeat and it's comforting.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Have you tried just co-sleeping?

There are safe co-sleeping practices you can follow or you can buy a co-sleeper. Then you could rest while you nurse her and she would feel more secure.

Also MAKE SURE you are swaddling her. Babies do not like to be free. It scares them because they have little control over their limbs at such a young age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with Anon about the co-sleeping.

Here is an article about safe co-sleeping
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My daughter was the same way. Figured out she was cold and was just more comfortable sleeping with me. Swaddle, use blankets (though I've heard u shouldn't which is just a bunch of hooey)but keep them tightly around her so they don't move around when she does. If your house is cold then keep a hat on her at all times. Nurse 5 mins on one side and then let her nurse on the other until she's fully asleep (next nursing do the same but with reverse breasts). And you just had a baby. You are going to be tired and its normal for her to wake up every 2-3 hours.
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 1:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• From day one we always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath at night, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all these things but what works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• At 3 weeks, you need to sleep when the baby sleeps. Let the housework a little - no need for it to be spotless! Get easy meals for a little while, or let someone else cook. What worked for me in getting my babies to sleep at night was waking them up at least every 3 hours during the day to eat, then letting them go as long as they would at night. It didn't take long for them to get in their longer stretches of sleep at night. I always put a small blanket that I had worn under my shirt in the crib with them, so it smelled like me and I used a "hearbeat" bear, but some kids respond better to a white noise machine or classical music. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2011