Why wont curls stay put! Im trying to do my hair like Vanessa Hudgens. I bought a conair 1 1/2 curling iron and

my hair wont stay in the curls i want. for one, it doesnt curl half way up to my head. two it only curls half way down to ends. my hair is soft but long and thick. as soon as i let go they go straight. I only used a heat protector spray. I dont own any serums, mouses, hair sprays, gels etc. I dont know what to buy, everything at the salons and stores is over whelming. I have dry frizzy dull hair even though my hair is SOFT doesnt mean my hair is healthy. I always had issues with doing anything to my hair. I always flat ironed it and thats it. im so sick of the straight hair but nothing works on my hair either. Im Effin pissed. I cant even dress up and look nice because nothing sticks and stays on my hair. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• http://www.conair.com/infiniti-by-conair-professional-nano-tourmaline-ceramic-1-curling-iron-p-867.html

This is the curling iron i bought today and im about to return it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Honestly, in order to keep the curls in place you need to apply something, I use light dabs of gel. Using a high quality iron will prevent damage, and using hair rollers ususally works better than any iron, but again- gel(my preference) or spray is the only way I get mine in place for more that an hour!
    awomansword

Answer by awomansword at 12:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have hot rollers but i think there dumb. My hair is super thick and it wont stay in place. its going back to sears so i can get my money back into my Gift Card. They are pink with velvet inside. it only came with 3 plastic clips wow! It wont stay in place either. my hair is thick and heavy. I havent found online good reviews for Hot Rollers. I want big messy curls. Nothing fancy looking. I want a Touseled look
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I feel ya girlie... good luck on the look! I love playing around with my hair when I get the time... My hair is horrible, dry, frizzy, thick, long and a mess! For me, nothing works, not even flat irons, unless I use some product. Maybe thats why my hair is so damaged! lol, ah well! Again, good luck! if you find what works best let me know!
    awomansword

Answer by awomansword at 2:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• the night before you want to go out dirty up your hair. Spray hairspray in it and baby powder on the scalp if you get oily. Don't wash it. Hair will curl better and hold curls when it's dirty. I tell all of my clients getting a "special occasion style" NOT to come with clean silky smooth hair. It's a stylists worst nightmare!!!
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 3:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• also...don't put the ends of your hair in the curling iron and roll it all the way up. First heat the strand of hair by running the curling iron down it...then clamp the iron mid strand (about half way down your head) holding the curling iron vertical as you twist it and slide it down till you get to the ends of your hair. HOLD it, Spray it and release. I WISH I could demonstrate!! Youtube it. I bet they have some tips!
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 3:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i agree with ^^^ ...go on youtube and type "how to curl your hair...'"......my curls dont seem to hold up either half the time. i have long thick wavy hair so what i do is , i straighten my hair with a flat iron and then i put gel through out it and let it dry , then ill splash a little hairspray before i curl it, i curl it for about 20 seconds and then spray hairspray again for it to hold....and it really works .GL!
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 6:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I know the feeling that you have! My hair is very fine and will not hold curl very long. I recently discovered a new type of curling iron called a curling wand. The brand I purchased is called NuMe and is absolutely amazing! There are several brands of these curling wands on the market today but the materials it is made from is what matters. Mine is tourmaline and heats up to 415 degrees. I always use a heat protector spray on my hair before curling to prevent heat damage. I think the wand is great because it doesnt have the traditional clip most irons use. You just use small sections of hair and wind it around the wand holding for 3 seconds and let the hair slide off. This creates a perfect curl and it actually stays. I always spray my hair with hairspray (Herbal essences) when I am finished. Another tip is just washed hair is harder to style and hold curl.
    BrandyB26

Answer by BrandyB26 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011