what would you do?

my ds (7) has been diagnosed with ADD ADHD & ODD.....he is on concerta 18 mg, counseling once a week....we are lucky enough to have medicaid for him so that helps with the cost....my question is if your child had these illness' & quilified for SSI benefits would you apply?? I partly feel like I shouldn't but at the same time feel if he is intitled to it why not? Plus then i can open him a savings account and put money in it each month his benefits would come.....we are not rich but we are not poor the money is not in die hard need of but the extra could help put him in things to help him and allow for extra money to do more family things....so would it be wrong of me to apply and try to get him was is righfully his???

hiswifey0725

Asked by hiswifey0725 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Those illnesses do not qualify, He is not disabled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• omg..you would be wrong NOT to apply..he is entitled to it for a reason. just because you arent poor or low income dosent mean u should not get that for him. you could make an account for him & put ALL of the money in it and save it for him. for college, or whatever he may need. people who have ADD & ADHD have trouble concentrating enough to keep jobs sometimes, or concentrate in school.. if he ever has diffculties in adulthood keeping a job, this money hes entitled to (for a reason) would really come in handy. my hubby & son have ADHF+D. you are NOT wrong for putting money away for your son!!! he deserves this thats why they give this to people with this uncontrolable issue. & i have always been afraid to put my son on drugs. we tough it out.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• THOSE 'ILLNESSES" do qualify. i know 5 different people who recieve social security checks for having ADHD!!!!
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yes it is a disability when it affects his EVERYDAY living SCHOOL and FRIENDSHIPS!!!! how about you google it and read on it before you comment next time trust me I HAVE BEEN researching it and found that since he does have social set backs with these illness' he DOES quilify and is also "marked" as disabled
    hiswifey0725

Comment by hiswifey0725 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• oops i put ADHF+D..lol. i meant ADHD.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• oh and aslo HIS TEACHER has already said he will probabl never make it threw high school let alone make it to a collage and hes only in 1st grade and you are absolutly right hellokitty ALL of the money will be put aside for him and if he wants to join something I WILL PAY FOR IT!!!! thank you for your input
    hiswifey0725

Comment by hiswifey0725 (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yes, you are right. i dont know why people comment when they dont know what theyre talking about. lol. he certainly does qualify. i know this for a fact. & i say , please do try to get the social security for your son. that could be the one thing they do for your son that can help him have a better life. he will thank you , and as his mom thats the best thing you can do for him. he so deserves it. its not like youre getting a free handout. at all. good luck mommy, & god bless your son
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thank you hllokitty it does make sense to give him some type of future to look forward to we are also hoping by the time he is old enough to work that his daddy will have his own buisness up and running so we can have him work with us if he has a hard time with other jobs.....he is such a joy to have in our lives but it is so hard to get people to understand him and it can get very frustrating.....he can not even go stay at friends or families houses he can be such a hand full....but the one that always has been able to understand him has left us and since then Chris just seems to pull away from all of us a little more.....with the therapy I am hoping and praying he can understand why my papa had to go to heaven and leave us....there is one thing that CHRIS truly loves with all of his heart and that is GOD & church & the church just loves having him....He is MY blessing :)
    hiswifey0725

Comment by hiswifey0725 (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• thats so good that he loves church!! he will be blessed if he keeps god in his life! sounds like youre doing a great job! & yes it is very frustrating and hard (probably harder on the parents seeing it ) to get others to be understanding & look past a childs differences. my older son has mild autism, & youngest has ADHD 7 i think a touch of OCD also. he's too young to be officially diagnosed. but i have to be strong to know my son has troubles fitting in with his autism. its hard to get others to accept what they dont understand. but having god in your life 7 being a close nit family is all that child needs. thats wonderful u night have your own business for him to work at someday also!! good luck with all :) :)
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I know people who live with add and adhd and have perfectly normal lives and dont collect social security. They went through school with struggles, but graduated and dont consider themselves disabled
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2011