Tax question

DH and I are still waiting for our 1098 forms from the school we went to. We have not paid any interest or anything on our student loans yet, so do we even actually need these forms to finish filing?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Regardless of whether you have paid any interest yet or not, you still should have received a statement from the school, for your records if nothing else. You might want to call them and find out if they mailed out the 1098.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah they were supposed to have mailed them out by the 31st. Their website even said that. Not sure what the deal is (perhaps the weather, heh).
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Depends on your income- it may or may not save you money when you file. Assuming you're talking about tuition expenses and NOT interest on student loans.

I never got mine from the school either- but we were able to find them online. Could he try logging on to his school's account?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• DH got his in the mail today.

Erica: Yes, they are having some kind of technical difficulties apparently...all week long. That's why they told people that if you wanted to have theirs sent by email to contact them, which I did. Still nothing. I emailed again, hopefully I'll hear something soon.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have it now. I heard back from their tech support and I just had to clear my cache, so I have my form now. Time to finish filing my taxes. :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011