His name is Patrick NOT Pat. GAH!

So my youngest is named Patrick and I really struggled with naming him that because I HATE the nickname Pat. Hate IT... it makes me cringe just to type it. We named him that to honor my uncle that died when I was 12.

Anyway, we have a family friend that keeps calling him Pat. We do not see her often and I don't want to be rude to her, but it is driving me crazy.

DO you have a nickname that you hate for any of your children? And what do you do when someone uses that nickname?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dd is names Aleksandria and I despise Alex for short. I call her Leksi, I made sure everyone knew that its Leksi not Alex before she was born
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• This reminds me of a friend. Her daughters name was Jennifer and ppl were always calling the daughter Jenny. It drove my friend crazy.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My sons name is Andrew, All my family calls him Andrew or Drew, but my In laws, pretty much all of them, call him Andy! It drives me insane! I knew it was a possibility that he would be called Andy. We very rarely see the in laws so I dont want to say anything and be rude, but it drives me nuts
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You just have to tell them over and over.

Awwww...your little Pat is cute!

Yes, we think he is adorable too, our little PATRICK!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My DS's name is Benjamin. We thought we made it clear that he was to be called Ben; I guess my nephews didn't get the memo. lol (they are 3, 5,7) They started calling him Benji-wenji. (deep breath) I just hope it doesn't stick.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Not really. Only my oldest has a name that can be shortened. Her name is Meagan. She's 10 and we were just discussing how she could be called Meg if she wanted (I leave it up to her, we call her Meagan). My dad calls her Megs or Meginski. Her BFF when she was little called her Meggie.
    On a side note: my husband's name is Patrick and he goes by Patrick. His dad was Pat. I've never heard anyone call my husband Pat.
    On another note. My cousin had 2 boys, Christopher and Kenneth, and would freak out if anyone shortened their names (especially since her dad was Ken). Now that her boys are grown they go by Chris and Ken.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don;t really care if they shorten it, but I HATE the nickname PAT. Rick or Trick would be fine...but Pat gives me the heebie jeebies.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My daughter's name is Emily and some people call her Em and some Eme and some Emily. It doesn't bother me in the least as I know they are done in a caring way. Does your son mind?
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have a sister who named her baby Christopher. Also did not want him called Chris. She died 6 days after he was born, the dad went crazy and his mother raised the him. Of course thats what she calls him. I want to smack her every time she does, she knew how my sister felt. I think I am the only one who calls him Christopher likes she wanted.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Family shortened my son's name and I wasn't happy about it, but I should have continued to call him the longer version and stuck with it. That's the only way to control it with family and friends. But when he gets older his friends will come up with their take on his name and there really is no way to change that. At that age, if your son is happy with it, you have to let it go but you should still call him what you prefer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2011