What are your disapline techneques?

Candie2008

Asked by Candie2008 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my one year old, I don't pay attention to his fits that aren't putting him in danger or from something like hunger, pain, tiredness.

If he gets too out of control, I put him in the pack n play for about a minute until he calms down. He is fine after that and goes right back to my little angel. :)

I will NOT spank him.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Mostly time out but if he keeps grabbing at something or he's after something dangerous I'll slap his hand. Not hard enough to really hurt but hard enough that he feels it because sometimes it's like he's in a trance and can't hear me.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Up until he was about 2, our only disipline was to tell him not to do whatever he was doing wrong, and direct him else where, or a swat on the hand if he was doing something continuously he wasnt suppose to be doing. But after he turned 2, the terrible twos kind of kicked in lol. He was biting, pulling hair, spitting, doing stuff he knew he wasnt suppose to be doing, but doing it purposely.. and so on. So then (and now still) It's a couple minutes in time out on the couch, or if he doesnt want to stay on the couch, he gets sent to his room & I'll sit him on the bed & shut the door. He cries, and I open the door and ask him if he's going to sit in the time out then, most of the time he'll apologize & go sit on the couch for the time out. But if he's being a pain, he'll say no. So I shut the door & wait a little longer. Until he decides he's ready for time out. It lets him know either way, he has to sit in time out (cont'd...)
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• & pay the consequenses for the actions. Every once in awhile I do swat his butt if time outs arent working, or something really bad. We have a book called "Baby & Child Care, From pre-birth through the teen years" Its by The Focus On The Family Physicians Resource Council, USA. I love it, It's a bigger book, but it's so detailed, and it's fun to read. It covers everything from disipline to eating, to things about the parents, everything. We received it as a gift at the baby shower, and read it before our son was here. & I still go back on the different ages & re-read before hand, so I'll kinda know what to expect. And so far everything about his behavior has been right age-wise. And all of the techniques have worked. I reccommend it to anyone.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We use a sticker chart. He gets stickers for good behaviors and they come right off for bad behavior. If he earns enough stickers in a week, he can have something special on Saturday - a new matchbox car, some M&Ms, a lollipop, TV time, stuff like that. He doesn't really get the concept of a week, but he really wants those stickers, so it still works! We also use the naughty chair technique and taking away toys or privleges if they are connected to the behavior - for example if he throws a toy - he loses that toy.
    Bwebb

Answer by Bwebb at 12:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011