If this doesn't piss u off........EDITED

Surfing the net I came across this, and remember, don't kill the messenger!!

Incredibly, courts often are precluded from considering the actual abusive act of killing the other parent” in custody decisions. Moreover, in one case that explicitly considered the domestic violence factor as mandated by Illinois statute, a father who had killed the mother of his children was given not only visitation but custody. The appeals court in 1989 noted that “a single criminal conviction, without more, will not support a finding of unfitness based on depravity.” If I may be somewhat flippant, they apparently require multiple murders before they are willing to terminate a man’s control over his children."

Ok I have looked into this statement a little more, and I found this incident took place in 1989.  The court that ruled on this has been censored by the United State of Surpreme Courts, and a few yrs after that, its the same law we have now that protects the children, and why the courts decides to rule "in the best interests of the dhildren"

To bad that had to happen to those kids for that law to come to effect

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yeah that needs to be fixed! How did he get custody and not have to go to prison?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• he may have, served his time, and received custody of the child. It did't say if he did or not.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 4:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• wow....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That's pretty crazy.. that court should be charged with child endangerment. If he could kill the mom, why couldn't he kill the kid/s too? Yikes!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would have to know how and why he killed her.......was she abusive to the kids, was it a car accident that he was negligent and she died. Anyone that can willfully take a life ,unless it would be mine or their life, should not have custody. But need to know more.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ouch. In a recent death of a woman I knew, killed by her husband, termination of his parental rights was done seconds after the sentencing was done. I am not surprised some states have the stance you mentioned. Women's rights are really not taken seriously and neither are children's. But we don't like screwing with the rights of men.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Holy cow- the alternatives must have been pretty bad if living with the man that killed Mom is "in the best interest of the children"
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2011